Rockstacker's 120g Build

I had no idea there was something similar to the Vortechs. I see new powerheads in my future. :D Thanks for the update! The movement looks perfect!

After a full day of running it at 100% speed, I decided to tone it down to 50% speed.
The pump dislodged a few unglued corals and made a mess of a sandhill towards the right side of my tank. The pump was pointing completely horizontal and was about 1/3 of the way below the surface of the water.
I also had to move my colony of electric green zoas that was about one foot in front of the wavemaker. The zoa mat was starting to peel off the rock :(

One of my mushroom rocks (about 1/2 pound in weight) on the sandbed also decided to do a tumbleweed impersonation.

This pump is NOT a toy!

I wonder if moding a smaller gph pump to run off the controller for my smaller tank would help with the ramping up to 100% power. I don't really want to pressure wash my tank. Is the controller to pump connector a simple two prong wire? I would think its just a +/- lead to the motor.

I wonder if moding a smaller gph pump to run off the controller for my smaller tank would help with the ramping up to 100% power. I don't really want to pressure wash my tank. Is the controller to pump connector a simple two prong wire? I would think its just a +/- lead to the motor.

The power supply is a 3-stage setup.
1. AC/DC Adapter plugs into the AC supply.
2. DC output from the adapter plugs into the wavemaker controller.
3. Wavemaker sends between 12v to (just under) 24v to the pump depending on the desired speed.

So if you are planning that type of mod, then you will need a DC powerhead that is rated between 12v to 24v.

I am not sure if hooking up a smaller pump to the controller would be the right way to go.
You would probably be better off adding a 12v-24v DC dimmer between the DC power supply and the controller.
Check out this info originally linked by texreefer
Jebao WP-40 Speed Control Mod - Do It Yourself - Austin Reef Club

And for your tank, I would probably go with a WP25 due to the size.

FTS
Nothing much has changed with the aquascaping. The new frags are barely noticeable :)

Left side
The green-skin toadstool is growing up to be quite a monster. It also had one sproutling growing from the base that I have since cut off and growing on its own under the mother coral.

Middle:

Right side:

Other photos.

My colony of blue zoanthids. This is where I get my blue zoa frags.

I might need to split this rock since there are some other colors showing up. I think these green ones are Mint Chocolate Chip zoas.
Interestingly enough, all the zoas on this rock all appear to share the same blue base color and brown skirt. The difference is that some have other color patterns on top of the blue.
There is also one errant paly near the bottom that I need to relocate.

Blue zoa frags

DIY frag shelf :)

Hey All, it has been a while since I last posted.
Things have been really busy at work.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the progress on my goniopora. I have had gonioporas in the past and they never lived longer than 3-4 months.
Maybe I got a rebel lol.

On a sad note, sometime in late 2014 something completely wiped out my euphelias.
I had two nice torch corals and a frogspawn growing fast. Then within 4-5 days they all melted.
No other corals were affected though.

Back