Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

Not much good to report now. Penny, one of the maroon clowns, decided to go carpet surfing. And inexplicably, all my zoas have decided to melt away. All levels are decent, and nothing has changed as far as new additions or coral placement. LPS and other softies are looking fine, but I have 4 of 16 zoa colonies left now. The others just melted away. I don't get it. :dunno: Oh well.

Awwww i loved your little clowns :( Sorry to hear about the zoas as well, when mine melt it makes me want to cry a little.

Did you get the maroon back in the tank in time? Sorry about your zoas. :(

No. I had been out at the grocery store and came home to find her dead on the floor. Now i need to get a larger maroon fairly quickly to keep the one left from becoming too territorial. Grrrrr....

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Penny :(

I don't know what to say about the zoas other than sometimes they just melt for seemingly no reason. I've had it happen in my tank too and I think this has been an experience of many reefers. I've heard that some colonies can be growing really well and then all of a sudden just melt away. The only tiny question I have is whether one of your angels potentially went after them?

Nope. The angels have thus far been model citizens, other than the flameback taking an occasional swipe at my leather. Within the space of about two weeks, the polyps have just been opening less and less, then shrinking in size and gradually melting away. Params are all spot on, so i'm not really sure what it is, other than a dreaded zoa melt-off.

Had an "OH SHIT!!!!111!!!" moment last night during tank maintenance. Was doing my normal water change and weekly testing, and came back with a nitrate reading of 160! I about shat my pants right there. Changed out 20 gallons last night instead of my usual 10, mixed more water for another change today, and sat there in tears for about 30 minutes last night.

With a clearer head this afternoon, I started changing out more water and decided to retest using a different, newer testing kit. Nitrates read at 10. Just like normal. Still changing the water out, since I already had it made up, and extra water changed never hurts, Weird that the test kit went that bad that quick. Cuz I had just used it last week for both my tanks, and it was just fine.

Just thought I'd share!

Yikes!!!! That's strange how the test are. I know a few ppl that have test kits that are a year or two old and they still work perfect everytime. Glad everything is fine tho.

Got my early Yule present to me today! Thanks Matty. Everything is acclimating now. I'm so excited to see how everything looks once it opens!

I've got CARs, Space Monsters, Captain Americas, Rainbow Raptors, Mohawks, Purple Hooters, Gobstoppers, LA Lakers, King Midas, Safecrackers, Purple Puddles, and a mystery Acro. All are open and happy except the space monsters and safecrackers. I actually have them in my little tank for now, as my 90 seems to still be eating zoas and I ain't risking my newbies just yet. Perhaps when they get big enough to frag, I'll risk a frag or two in the 90, but not now. I figured I would put them in the 10 which has GBPs growing like mad, at least until they start growing out a bit. I'm also probably going to be starting a pico at my new job, so they may end up being a zoa garden there.

i believe that acro is a tenuis. or thats what he told me. glad everything made its way up there. i've got some pretty big plans in the works right now.

here's a teaser pic for ya fishy
8014BAE0-72D9-4C98-A4A1-084CC4D8E840-3445-00000254AE1742A2.jpg

Last edited:
I can totally do that! All about sharing the love. And I do looooove these new zoas. So prettyful. When I can get a halfway decent pic, I will post!

Back