Shark Egg Case!!

alright, well quick update on the shark, it looks like the plcenta is completely gone and i'm jsut waiting and this point for the lil dude to hatch... sometimes it stops breathing for a bit so i have to preform "shark CPR" which i've been shown how to do at the AQ for the few sharks that don't have a good grasp of breathing and moving at the same time... I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow before we start packing the rest of the house up to leave! LOL

How can you tell that it has stopped breathing? How do you perform that CPR while it's still encased? How long can it go without breathing/what do you do if it stops breathing while you're at school/the aquarium?

Sorry 'bout all the questions, but I feel like you just left us with a jawdropper :shock: :lol:

well basically you just have to gently squeeze the egg case where his abs would be in a normal rythm pattern (which for them is like every 2 seconds) until you see it breathing again... you can tell because when you look at them through the egg case the gills have stopped moving at all. sometimes they are really really slow and thats alright because its usually "resting" (altho how an egg doesnt do anything but rest is beyond me lol). and mom and the siblings have learned how to preform shark cpr... in fact my sister who is SCARED to effing DEATH of ANYTHING that has to do with the ocean/my tank actually stuck her hand into the tank willingly to preform CPR while i was at school last week... i think shes beginning to take a liking to my "creepy pets" lol

well that is good to know. glad to hear that you sister is willing to help out like that just get her more involved with it and maybe she will start a new hobby. i like to get my kids involved in tank maintence and well it is not always the help that i want but they love to try and help. it is our time together that they get to help fix things with dad and it makes them feel so good that they got to help.

It used to be really good, but now there is better stuff that you can get...not that I would know personally or anything :shock: :lol:

Alright, so please fist excuse the crazy long explaination coming lol.

This week we got a new house so we've been slowly moving everything over so as to not cause a huge crazy ammonia spike, which is why kona is back over in the 20 and most of the big rocks are gone too... We decided the best option we had currently was to move over the 50, get enough water going for all of the little tanks and sand going to where it wasn't going to make a huge spike and hopefully not lose anything. I am super paranoid about moving everything when it comes to my fish D: I know i'll probably be okay but since its the first time with salt stuff i'm taking it easy and slow, I've got another week to make sure everything is perfect and most of the water and sand came from the other tanks... the 10gs i'm not worried about at all, just gonna drain the water and move em over and put the water back in. its the biggies that worry me. SO anyways, thats why you'll see Kona in the videos i'll be posting in a bit...

So last night I came in from the new house at about 2am and checked on everyone to make sure they were doing all right and checked all the levels because i had stirred up quite a bit of stuff and wanted to keep my levels okay and i checked sharkie to make sure it was breathing and went to bed.

So sometime between 2am and 10am my lil guy hatched! :D I woke up to my mom telling me she was leaving for work and that I had to take a load of stuff over to the new place and possibly move over one of the tanks and the turtle over. I was like okay whatever and decided I should get up and go grab the last chocolate muffin before any of my siblings could get it (those things go fast here lol) and I turned on my light and happen to look at my corals and totally not realize a shark was sitting in the middle of them. I was like "oh crap not again you stupid leather" (my leather always looks retarded and redicioulus whenever i stir things up... i hate it lol) and then realized it was a SHARK!

I started screaming "GUYS GUYS THE SHARK HATCHED QUICK GET A CAMERA! GET SOME FISH!! COME LOOOOOOK" and yea :) lol.

sooooo hes about 6 inches long and so far has nibbled a bit on shrimp and silversides. thankfully he didn't munch on anyone in the tank :)

Here we go! pictures!! :D

Picture7.png

Picture9.png

Picture5-6.png

Picture6-3.png

Picture4-12.png

so anyways, thought it was a girl but it looks as if it could be a boy, its too young to tell right now so i'll have to wait a few weeks or so to see if anything grows.... lol. but its going to get a name shortly here :) gotta figure out what i wanna name the lil dude! :D I'm super stoked!!

Back