Slow/fast growing frags

earman88

Reefing newb
Short and sweet:

Which corals are worth spending more money up front for a larger colony?
Which frags should you not spend money on larger colonies (zoas for instance?)

Example: I really want a torch coral, and that was one I was thinking grows slower so that would be one worth dropping $60 on..

That right there comes down to personal choice.
Every tank is different.So every tank will have different growth rates for different corals.
But as a general rule of thumb. The brighter the colors,the slower the growth will be.

As for the torch. You can help them along by giving each head a little frozen mysis once or twice a week.

Ug. Frags. I am a frag hater my friend. Stupid ugly plugs. (ok, so I don't need to be sooo opinionated all the time) My zoa frags look exactly how they did months ago when I bought them. Boo. Yote is right, every tank is so different. Some corals grow like weeds in some tanks. Those same corals do nothing in another tank. I have a duncan and several polyp (sp) colonies that will not quit growing. And I had a xenia colony disappear. Supposedly xenia are unstoppable and easy to keep. Not in my tank. I say, wait for a coral you really really like, save up, and get a nice sized, healthy piece of it. Looking at a decent sized piece of something you love for months is so much more fun than staring at random tiny frags wishing and hoping. It's so hard to predict how quickly a particular coral will grow in your tank.

Acro's and zoa's by far fastest growing. And as far as yote says the more/brighter the colors the slower the growth i don't believe that's true

Well I've got a birthday coming up so I might just ask for a fat gift certificate and then go on a coral shopping spree (over a period of a couple months to be safe)... it's either that or an HD camcorder.... decisions decisions..

Last edited:
You're right Reef3400, the moderator with 26,000 posts who does this for a living probably doesn't know what he's talking about it.

In no disrespect to Yote because he's certainly helped me in the past, especially when my tank cracked. But again, growth depends on the tank/water quality. I don't think it depends on vibrance of a coral either. I have WWC pistol packin pink paly's, Darth mauls, Captain Americas, etc., and even a chalice that spread faster than my dull green flame paly's. So it's not that reef3400 is wrong. It's his personal opinion, along with mine. Just as you have your own.

The main point that Yote and Sarah hit on, is that it depends on the tank and your own personal husbandry. Nuff said.

I am giving my first try with frags now. I picked up 3 last week and am hoping to see some growth. I usually by big, $150+, size colonies. Problem is, I have watched them melt away also. Not much fun watching a giant Radioactive Dragon eye colony disappear in the matter of a few weeks. Mushrooms and torch seem to do very well in MY tank. I think its a matter of figuring out how things react and sticking with the kind that does well in your system. I'm hoping the SPS does well in mine.

If you want some awesome HD vids of your tank, then you better have some frags in there to look at :D

I'd buy small frags, esp since you have a tiny tank. Seriously, buying a single head of a duncan or a 3-headed candycane, or a frag of zoas, or a birdsnest frag, etc., will be totally fine in your tank and will make it look full in no time. If you had a 90g tank then you might want to think about buying large colonies, but with a small tank I wouldn't buy anything but small frags. And also remember that a lot of the LPS corals can be semi- or agressive - meaning they need several inches of room between themselves and other corals otherwise they will sting each other to death. This is easy to accomplish in a large tank, but much harder in a small tank, so something to keep in mind when you choose your corals, their size, and their placement (and make sure to leave room for them to grow).

As everyone else has said it depends so much on water quality, lighting, flow, stability of parameters (as you know, I've lost some of my corals due to temp swings by a few degrees, or salinity increases from a small water change). Tiny tanks are hard to regulate (as you know), and I'd recommend staying away from SPS frags for that reason - they just aren't as forgiving. Some brain species are also less forgiving Get hardy corals, and corals that aren't going to take over - xenia is nice, but will take over your tiny tank in no time. Instead think about a different type of spreading polyp like pipe organ that won't grow off the rock you put it on or blue cloves that will fill in space between other corals without drowning them out. And finally, expect to lose some frags - for whatever reason, there are just some corals that won't do well - I've lost some zoas, bought another batch of the exact same thing and the second one thrives while the first melted away. It can be pretty hit or miss - best thing you can do is just try to really buy healthy corals, dip everything in coral rx, and sit back and watch them grow - a few months from now you'll start to see changes!

Anyhow, just wanted to give you some food for thought!

Here is what I think:

Zoas, duncans, mushrooms, candy canes, leathers, birdsnest, montis, sun corals -- buy small. Those tend to grow quickly and easily.

Torches, hammers, frogspawns, blastos, acans, most other SPS -- buy larger if you can afford them. Those tend to take much longer to grow out and can be frustrating!

That is just my experience with my own tanks.

My single headed torch split in about 3 months and has more than doubled in size, getting read to split again from 2 heads to 4. And my 3 headed frogspawn has also split into several more heads and is now a good 5-6 inches across when fully inflated. No way either of those frags I bought would fit in my 10g! My merletti blastos also grew quickly, going from 3 to 10 heads in a few weeks, but I haven't seen further growth since then - but I think I would if I moved it to a brighter spot in my tank. Acans also added several more heads in a few months. The onyl stuff in my tank that hasn't grown quickly are my mushrooms and most of my zoas. Go figure! (And I should add that I haven't had my acro, plating montis, and encrusting montis in my tank long enough to judge!

Back