Stumpped!!!!!!!!!!!

well be sure to clean the tank , have everything in order before you start, and you will prolly want to get the snails out since may/may not make it through another cycle.

As far as not using lights, the coraline wont grow without any. Any you may have now will go away without the lights. I picked up 3 small hermits yesterday, and theyve completly cleaned my rocks of the old dead hair algae and the nasty brown diatoms.. Woulda never guessed they had that kind of appetite lol.

check your rok

i'm right now boiling my live rock cause i think they are the ones that pounded that danm ammo and nitrate and i have 55 banger. i'm starting over again because of all high levesl of everything. now with no le rock strted today my levels are good and i will scrub everything in my rock. :helm2:

As far as not using lights, the coraline wont grow without any. Any you may have now will go away without the lights.

i thought it was the other way around. the coraline will not grow with lights on? my new lights are going to be

2 - 250 metal halide
4 - 110 VHO true blue
4 - moon lights

Well its algae regardless and algae needs light to grow and flourish.

Then again I could be wrong. Ask John, we all know hes the one to ask here lol

yes you do need light but i don't think you need 940watts that way more then enough more like 4watts a gal not 11watt good luck on controlling your phosphates maybe by a much better skimmer a skimmer is the :heartpump :heartpump of your tank

Last edited:
Coraline algae - Deposit magnesium along with calcium carbonate in their skeletons in the form of calcite. Coralline algae skeletons contain from 7 to 30% magnesium carbonate. There are anecdotal reports of die off of coralline algae due to magnesium levels in the aquarium being well below natural seawater values (about 1300 ppm at a specific gravity of 1.025). It is important to remember that natural seawater values are measured at a specific grraavity of 1.025. Aquarists with low specific gravity in the aquarium often erroneously believe the magnesium level is low when it really isnt. At a specific gravity lower than natureal seawater, the magnesium concentration will be proportionately lower than 1300 ppm, and this is not a sign of defiecency. Most encrusting coralines grow under moderate light conditions and will not be found in the brighter areas. light is needed although not very much for some species.

don't think you need 940watts
you think thats to much light for my tank over all? i was just planning on running the moon lights and maybe the VHO's for 2-3 hours a day

i already have a Turboflotor 1000 skimmer and i am going to make my own refugium out of at least a 55 gallon tank. i am going to make my own calcium reactor. i have only one question where do i get the CO2 canister from? and do i sit the reactor in the sump or outside of it?

light is ok in that case and for the reactor goes on the outside good luck bro let us know how it goes and for the tank i get mine from airgas or from LFS

Last edited:
as for as that skimmer goes if it cost 125.oo it not that good of a skimmer is rated for 125-250gal tanks with pump 250gph i don't believe this at all theres no way u can run that pump on that size tank maybe yours but if it was me i would by better will save you alot of money in the long run maybe for a NANO LOL JUST A JOKE

DONT start over are you going to start over when things start to get bad with the next aquruim you can figure this out it just takes time. Something is really wrong with the water paremeters if i were you I would invest in every test kit they have to offer.have you ever dosed for any type of fish diseases,which youll probably say no since you can keep corals alive,can you test for all of these (amonia,nitrite,alkalinity,calcuim,phosphates,nitrates,ph in the morning and at night,magn,iodine)(copper)without these test theres only so much we can do without actually knowing.One of those shouldnt be were there suppose to be Im thinking maybe,do the fish die within a 12 hour time frame or over night.If you dont have the test kits take a large amount(water) to the fish store and they should do it ,tell them exactly what you want to be tested something sounds very fishey,one more do you by any chance have any small children that could reach the top to dip there hands into the aqu?lol.Theres a guy that came to the fish store that was having same problem it was his alkalinity,night time ph fluctuated to some extremes just enough to shock the fish and bring disease out.

Last edited:
i am starting over because i want a bigger tank and i want a reef ready tank. the tank i have no is not reef ready. i have taken the water to my LFS and their test are telling them teh same thing that mine is.

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
pH - 8.3
ammonia - 0
salinity - 1.021
calcium - 400
dKH - 12

sagent3000 said:
i am starting over because i want a bigger tank and i want a reef ready tank. the tank i have no is not reef ready. i have taken the water to my LFS and their test are telling them teh same thing that mine is.

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
pH - 8.3
ammonia - 0
salinity - 1.021
calcium - 400
dKH - 12
your salinity is way low for a reef tank ..23-.25 should be .24 1.021 thats more like the salinity for strictly fish and also you need to test your mag thats very impot just as calicum and you kh/alk is at its limits 8-12 and cal is a little low 420 -450 not 400

Last edited:
that still wouldnt have caused it, those are decent numbers lol, Ive seen things live in far far worse conditions. If your fish only, what you were at was fine.

My apologyz,Im stumped without takeing a trip to your house. Your fish should be able live in those conditions still something is missing.for your fish to die so fast its weird. how high can the alkalinity be measured with you tester?my best suggestion is to get someone from your fish store to come out and take a look at the problem becase you might just run into this problem in the future,say if you use the 70 lbs or anything from that aquruim in your new aqurium its more than likly could cause a problem.

as far as just fish go you might not have enough oxg check also check you copper level don't just put your fish in the bag and sit it in your tank for 15min you also need to create a a drip i use a piece of small tube suck at one end then create a small knot in the tube then let drip 20 40 drips a min into bag in a dark place like your sump for about 45 min then place in your tank i have never lost a fish and i do mean never also when you by your fish watch them at lfs for a while and ask them to feed the fish you want if it eats it should be ok

rarecoral21 said:
as far as just fish go you might not have enough oxg check also check you copper level don't just put your fish in the bag and sit it in your tank for 15min you also need to create a a drip i use a piece of small tube suck at one end then create a small knot in the tube then let drip 20 40 drips a min into bag in a dark place like your sump for about 45 min then place in your tank i have never lost a fish and i do mean never also when you by your fish watch them at lfs for a while and ask them to feed the fish you want if it eats it should be ok
and also with all this fish dieing in you tank i dont think you nitrate is 0 you might want to test yourself

as far as just fish go you might not have enough oxg
how do i check for my oxygen level and how do i increase my levels of oxygen in my tank. i have a wet/dry that has bio balls and the bioball compartment is half full with water. should i decrease the water level in the compartment?

you also need to create a a drip i use a piece of small tube suck at one end then create a small knot in the tube then let drip 20 40 drips a min into bag in a dark place like your sump for about 45 min then place in your tank
thats what i do now. i have a bucket that i put the fish in and i drip them for 30 mins take some of htat water out and then drip for another 30 mins and take that water out then drip another 30 mins and then put into the tank.

check you copper level
wouldn't my corals and snails be affected by the copper level too?

dont think you nitrate is 0
well i use purigen in my overflow box and my test kits all say 0 i use the strips and the tetra test kits

Last edited:
rarecoral21 said:
LFS will test oxg and as for as your test kit test strips are not acu i use only salifert cost 20.00 a test but very acu it seems you are doing everything wright as far as fish into the tank what kind of top off do you use. It must be your oxygen

there are many test out there i wouldn't use strips :frustrat:

Back