Tank Raised Perculas

kbuser92

Breeder
I got a new friend yesterday, a tank raised True Percula. Hes joining my other tank raised Perc female so hopefully they pair up.

The (hopefully) pair.
IMG_20120516_155354.jpg

Heres the new guy. That misbar is perfect on both sides.
IMG_20120516_155437.jpg

The drama queen.
IMG_20120516_155451.jpg

And her stripes are (I think) perfect, too. I love how thick the black is on her tail.
IMG_20120516_155456.jpg

i just got a pair today also and they keep hanging out near the side glas and wont move... i have one powerhead in there right now with another one coming in later today. its a 25g tank with a 3000L/h head. is this too much?

I have 2 tanke raised also. The usualy stay in one area. If you watch them long enough they will swim around. But they tend to stay in that one area.Unless its feeding time then whey will go any where for that food.

My ORA clown pair stay in the top corner by the fug return at night. during the day they are all over the tank in and out of the rock work like they are playing tag. This is untill my Royal Gramma kills there fun. Leia is a bitch like that :( she had changed as she's gotten older.

But yes back on track great pair of clowns you have there Kyle hope they take off and breed for you. mine have laid a clutch once but lost it due to predation from my CBS and hermits. The Male failed at his job :(

I do, too. Itd be really cool, but Id have to set up a fry tank, right? Would a 20 long work?

probably I'm not to sure on that a few folks i know that breed here use 20 longs and other long tanks if now large pond tubs. But yeah I feel a 20 long for clown baby's would be just fine:Cheers:

i went to the lfs and the guy said i may have too much flow. all day and night i just find the fish are just swimming for their lives lol. i felt kinda bad so im just pointing the powerhead to the surface until i get a smaller powerhead

And probably just a cheap Aquaclear and heater?

from what I've seen of breeding tanks they have a net or some sort of divide from the filtration side or some have just water jets to keep the water moving while they are fry. I'd love to do a breeding tank i just don't have the room :(...

I've been reading a few other forums lately on raising fry, just in the off chance my domino clowns spawn. If your's do spawn, I would wait until a subsequent spawn to try to raise the fry - the early spawns can be small and are often eaten - no sense in racing out to buy the equipment when you can really plan out what you need thoughtfully while your pair gets into the routine of spawning. Once in the routine, they spawn appx every 12-14 days - but they may wait awhile to spawn again after their first. As far as flow, from what I've been reading you only need something that will flow at around 1 airbubble per second - air stone maybe or something else? I personally am thinking that I might do something like set up a 5g w/ phyto and rotifers w/ a small amount of flow in it, and then use a drip line at a rate of around 1drop per second to give air and constant food to the fry. I've also wondered if anyone has used an auto top-off system to provide a constant source of food. I'll see if I can post a few links w/ info... RC also has a breeding forumn, and there is another forumn out there strictly for fish breeding that has good info. From what I've read, its not as easy as it sounds and is quite a lot of work for maybe only a handful of fish that make it to juvenile-hood.

Well, if they do spawn, it's always worth a shot. I mean, setting up a fry tank isn't gonna break the bank, maybe $100 for tank, light, heater and a filter.

I was thinking a sponge filter would do the trick.

It is really difficult and time consuming to raise the fry, it is not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is. You cant just dump these guys in another tank and expect them make it. It can also take years for a pair to breed, if ever. You guys are getting way ahead of yourself.

And to ReefNoob, you dont have too much flow. That is just what clowns do, and you shouldnt worry about it. When they are more comfortable with the tank they will go out more. Try adding a few chromis to coax them out of their corner.

Well, if they do spawn, it's always worth a shot. I mean, setting up a fry tank isn't gonna break the bank, maybe $100 for tank, light, heater and a filter.

I was thinking a sponge filter would do the trick.

It's not the tank that breaks the bank. You need to grow several types of live food to sustain babies. You need live phytoplankton cultures (several bottles of it going at once), which feeds your live rotifer cultures (several containers going at once), which feed the clowns, and as the clowns get older, feed your live brine cultures (several containers going at once). If any level of the food chain fails, your babies die.

I tried for many months to raise my baby clowns. Growing enough phyto, rotifers and brine for them was a nightmare. One week, I'd run out of phyto to feed the rotifers, and the entire population of rotifers would crash. Or the next time, I'd have too much phyto and ended up having to dump a bunch down the drain, and then I'd run out because one of my bottles would unexpectedly crash. It took up a ton of space, a ton of time, and a ton of money. You have to start the cultures months in advance just to get enough food to keep going. If you run out, they crash, or they die, your clowns starve to death, and you have to start all over. So the fry tank is the least of your worries.

Last edited:
Back