Tanked's 125 build thread

I don't know how to make pintos, but the rest I can do. And there's always sweet tea in my fridge.... one of my favorite things about the south is the sweet tea. And the guys. :D

The tank isn't doing so hot still. I sent my brain coral and duncans to my mom's... the duncans couldn't handle all the flow in my tank and started to disintigrate, and the brain couldn't handle the light. The brain is doing better but duncans are disintigrating still. sigh.

Haven't seen the corris lately. not sure why.... although sometimes they do like to hide.

Look behind the tank real good.:sad:
The last corris I had went missing like that.Found him dryed up and stuck to edge of the stand on the back side of the tank.

I've got a glass lid on my tank, so I don't think that's what happened.... I hope. Still haven't seen the little bugger, though.

I did rearrange some corals and clean the tank from top to bottom today. I realized I hadn't changed my carbon out since I installed the BRS reactor like a month ago.... wonder if that contributed to my issues with the duncans and monti. Anyway, I'll post pics tomorrow when my corals aren't pissed at me.

Look! It's CLEAN! and really blue with just actinics on:

actinics.jpg

Sorry this is long, but I wanted to summarize my experience moving this tank (done in the middle of August). Skip to the end if you don't want to know the gorey details.

So, as most of you know, I moved from Eugene, OR to Redmond, WA-- approximately a six hour drive, or approximately 300 miles. I moved the entire 125 gallon tank, all the livestock, sand, and rocks. I know-- crazy, right? It would have been easier to sell everything but the equipment in Eugene and start over. But I'm attached to my little creatures, so I didn't do that.

For the record, you can fit all the rocks, sand, and most of the water in 3x 15g rubbermade containers, 8 5 gallon buckets, and (for those ginormous pieces of rock) 1 25g rubbermade container. bagged most of the corals that weren't attached to rocks, and kept all rocks and sand submerged for the whole trip. as you can imagine, getting these containers to vehicles was a b*tch. If anyone else ever tries it, use a dolly. we had 3 of them. The fish all took the trip together in a 30 gallon rubbermade container. Also, none of the rubbermaid stuff was filled more than half full with water, for structural stability reasons. I put all the fish and corals into my mother's SUV, which is convenient because the whole vehicle is temperature controlled.

Taking the whole tank apart and capturing all the creatures took 2 people approximately 6 hours. Then, the burly (hah, not really... I did most of the lifting :() movers arrived to help load things. I padded the "mom's attic" are of a 24' uhaul truck with a giant fluffy comforter... then we put the 6' tank up there. All ends were padded with giant couch pillows, then the whole assembly was roped in TIGHTLY.... then I put all the mattresses up against the tank, to prevent anything from sliding into it. The tank made it without a scratch on it, which is fantastic.

Once we got everything packed, the drive to Redmond started. It took the uhaul (which had the tank and stand and all my other furniture in it) 7 hours, and the SUV with all the livestock made the trip in about 5.5.... but it doesn't do much good to get the livestock there without a tank to put them in. Oops. Anyway, the movers scheduled to move things in that day did not show up. So, after scrambling around and not being able to find replacements that day, we ended up parking the SUV in front of my mother's house and running a big ass extension cord from there to the car, in order to power a heater and power head for the container with the fish in it. At this point, all the fish were fine, except 1 fire fish had been squashed somehow in the process, and the flame angel, Angie, didn't seem very happy. I nervously left the fish in the SUV overnight (although that's not as bad as it sounds, because it was August in Washington, so the temp was probably around 65-75... not too big a deal). The next day came, and different movers came, and the tank install guy arrived to save the day, and help me set up the tank. He did the majority of the work, while I went to the hardware store for yet more PVC fittings.

All in all, the experience was exhausting (we packed fish/corals from about 9pm Saturday-3am Sunday, then moved out from 8am-1pm Saturday, and drove straight away from there.... then came tank install day the next afternoon) and I did lose a few livestock.... however, I still have my tank, and the plumbing and sump are FAR better than they were before, the lights are hung properly (yay, no more stupid 2x4 frame!) and the tank no longer leaks.

In tribute to all those friends lost during the move, I have collected their pictures. Later on, I'll post current photos of the tank.

Frogspawn, photo taken when purchased appx 2 years ago...was about twice the size shown:
P6150207-1.jpg

coral2.jpg

milli-colony.jpg

Only the devil's hand (which was HUGE, took up the whole corner of the tank) and the green birds' nest died from moving. The urchin is fine, as is the zoas:
leather-birdsnest.jpg

And saddest of all, my fish. First, the dwarf angel, Angie-- the 2nd saltwater fish I ever bought.
angiestaresayou2.jpg

And one of my purple firefish, leaving only 1 loner fish:
firefish.jpg

And finally, most tragic for me (although I'll miss all of them) is my naso, Sunny. His death wasn't directly caused by the move, but rather by the stress of two tangs re-establishing their own territories... the sailfin won, despite my best efforts to prevent problems. Here's a shot from when I first got Sunny (he was quite skinny):
naso.jpg

and, a shot of him as a healthy, personable fish. He was my favorite fish ever, and I'll miss his cheerful begging for food every time I step up to the tank.

naso2.jpg

RIP little friends. :(

Awww this is a sad post. Moving tanks is always so stressful. I'm sorry you lost some animals during your move, but I'm glad that you were able to successfully set everything back up again.

I am glad you got it all done and are back in WA :-)... Just in time for Barrier anniversary sale??? will you be there this weekend?

yeah, although I'm too poor for any "serious" purchases.... I need snails though, so I'll be there at some point this weekend for that... and who knows, if there's an awesome coral for cheap I might snag it.

Are you going? If so, did you enter the raffle for the reef controller? that's a pretty sweet set up...

Back