TBS shipment acclimation Q?

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I just tested the water that my creatures came in

PH less than 7.4
Nitrates over 160ppm

I have never seen these kinds of numbers. I have them all in a QT tank drip acclimating

My numbers are
PH 8.0
Nitrates 5.0ppm

Everyone is moving around but I hope they make it after those kinds of spikes in the numbers sheesh

Any suggestions during the drip time???

I think if youi go about your normal acclimation routine they will all be fine. There are quite a few member here that have purchased stuff from them, all with great results.

not surprising really. they will be better off getting out over time and getting in your much healthier tank. I have known people that had reefs set up that somehow thrived at nitrate levels higher than that... I think the trick is that the nitrates are not so harsh if they slowly rise that high over a long period of time. dont get me wrong im not condoning this activity. it leads to overall stress of your animals AND YOU haha but just saying that because your new critters should be just fine :)

That's what you get for testing! :lol:

Read john's acclimation procedure for his snails on the reefcleaners.org website. He talks about the extremely high concentration of ammonia from shipping. You've got all these animals, floating in an extremely small amount of water (even less if the box leaked), and still going about their daily amounts of waste excretion. It won't take long at all for those numbers to spike. And everyone has seen just how much life is on this TBS stuff. Add in that some of it is guaranteed to die off in shipping. Talk about a potent combo.

So just follow Richard's acclimation procedure and you'll be fine. ;)
He responds to email very quickly too if you have questions.

That's what you get for testing! :lol:

Read john's acclimation procedure for his snails on the reefcleaners.org website. He talks about the extremely high concentration of ammonia from shipping. You've got all these animals, floating in an extremely small amount of water (even less if the box leaked), and still going about their daily amounts of waste excretion. It won't take long at all for those numbers to spike. And everyone has seen just how much life is on this TBS stuff. Add in that some of it is guaranteed to die off in shipping. Talk about a potent combo.

So just follow Richard's acclimation procedure and you'll be fine. ;)
He responds to email very quickly too if you have questions.

Yes he is very responsive on emails I am very happy with my order and cant wait to order some more LR in a couple of weeks.

I had done all my acclimating research and everything seems to be doing great they got to my door in less that 12 hours so it was a quick trip.

Yep I dripped everything for about 4.5 hours almost 5 hours then started slowly moving them over. Other than a snail that hasnt moved yet everything seems to be very happy I hope they all make it.

Back