Temps climbing, what can I do?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I am pretty much set on getting a purple firefish as my first fish. I've read that they are jumpers so I went ahead and reinstalled my glass top on. My temps prior were staying at a solid 80 degrees. In two days it's gone to about 84. Glad I did this BEFORE I got the fish.

What can I do? I just have an 18 watt actinic bulb for lighting right now..three maxijets(what's great is I ordered two more a few days ago), and a HOB skimmer....

Do they make a top that's breathable? I really don't care for the glass but I don't want my buddy going carpet surfing...or becoming one of the most expensive meals my dogs have ever had.

You can get egg crate instead. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's, in the lighting section. It's not foolproof, but it's better than glass and better than nothing.

I called the fish shop that I plan on getting the firefish from and they said not to use that stuff. That's exactly what I figured to do too. I actually have a sheet of that in the garage form a dart frog project. I'll go cut it up right now.

They have a plastic mesh for screen doors. Is there any reason we shouldn't use that stuff? Maybe zip-tie it on there? Thanks guys.

The mesh will block too much light.

Did the fish store give you a reason for not using egg crate? That's what everyone uses.

Didn't think about the light with the mesh : /

Just that it wasn't a complete solution, and that it still leaves too much area available for the fish to get out.

It does, but it's better than nothing. There is no complete solution. Glass heats up the tank way too much and prevents gas exchange from happening at the surface.

A partial solution is better than no solution, anyways.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'll cut it up and put it on there now. Do you ever put any bracing on it?

While you're here. My cycle is complete. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, but my nitrates are SUPER high(like 40+). Is just a 20% water change going to suffice?

Fit like a glove. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Do a 20% change....should be fine if everything is zeroed.

Where is your temp probe?
Do you have a heater?
Whats the temp at night with the lights off?

Do a 20% change....should be fine if everything is zeroed.

Where is your temp probe?
Do you have a heater?
Whats the temp at night with the lights off?

It's in the middle of the tank.
No heater(haven't needed it as temps have been stable for the past month).
I haven't checked the temps at night, just in the middle of the day when I do my testing.

Thanks for the water change advice. Wasn't sure if 10% was enough or if I should go to 25%

I personally have had two fish jump right through egg crate, so I can at least see where the LFS is coming from, but like stated, better than nothing. And a WHOLE lot better than glass tops, as they will pose a great reduction in your gas exchange, as well as the temp issues.
What I have done that has worked well is to cut a height of acrylic, and install it around the edges of the tank going upward to form sort of a wall (picture something like a hockey rink) around the light. 4" will do just fine.

While you're here. My cycle is complete. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, but my nitrates are SUPER high(like 40+). Is just a 20% water change going to suffice?

Fit like a glove. Thanks for the help.
It's a case of simple math. ;) If your nitrates are 40 and you do a 20% water change with water that has 0 nitrates, your tank nitrate level will only drop to 32.

Here's a good thread from RC on using clear mesh for over the top of your tank.
Reef Central Online Community - **Clear** Mesh Top

It's a case of simple math. ;) If your nitrates are 40 and you do a 20% water change with water that has 0 nitrates, your tank nitrate level will only drop to 32.

Here's a good thread from RC on using clear mesh for over the top of your tank.
Reef Central Online Community - **Clear** Mesh Top

Really doubted it was that simple, lol. I have found to always ask with every question and not assume much with this hobby thus far, because in most cases my assumptions have been wrong. Thanks. What nitrate levels are acceptable for fish? I've read something like <40 are OK..(at least for what I'm doing right now).

The clear mesh idea looks like it's something to think about. So far lighting isn't a huge concern of mine, just keeping my inmates in their prison is.

Yeah, fortunately there are a few things that actually make sense in this hobby. :)
You should try to keep your nitrates in the low 20's, and that shouldn't be hard to do with regular water changes. Fish can probably handle nitrates around 100 IF that level gradually built up over time...as in not doing regular maintanence. But, try adding a new fish to water with that high nirtate level and chances are the new addition wouldn't live very long.

Taking that into account, how long should I wait in between water changes trying to get it down into the 20's?

and just as a thought, its better to do more smaller water changes than fewer big ones.

The idea is to make the chemestry change slow and gradual, rather than making a big correction, too big of a change in either a good or a bad direction can cause stress on your tank inhabitants. or thats the way i understand it, but i'm still a total noob.

I still don't have any livestock so I don't think I would be making that much of an impact would I?

Let me know, getting ready to do 1st water change now. My LFS said that I could do as much as a 50% change since I still don't have any fish in the tank... I'm assuming that's a bad idea as speeding up anything in this hobby is a bad idea...That AND my LFS isn't reliable....

Back