Time to decide on some lights!

Awol

Reefing newb
It is time for me to make up my mind on lights. I'm not sure what brands are good brand names yet, so lets keep that out of it so far. Of course, I'm always open for some suggestions and discussions to back up recommendations.

A recap of my plans:

-125g tank with dual overflows
- 55g Sump
- Keeping SPS, LPS, and softies
- Not getting wet until April/May

One random light question:
Are the different 10K 14K 20K bulbs just different coloring for mainly aesthetic reasons, or do they affect coral growth too?

So right now I'm thinking a combo system with 3xMH, 8xT5s, and moonlight LEDS. I'd like 175Watt MH because of possible heat concerns. I'm not sure if I can get away with 250W and not need a chiller. I normally keep the house at 74 or so in the summer with the AC on and 64-68 in the winter depending on the time of day. I'm fine with using heaters and fans if needed, but I'd like to skip the chiller.

Something like this one (72" model of course)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...6&N=2004+113352

or this one (very bottom of the page)
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/li..._systems_mh.htm

Thoughts, comments, concerns, lewd jokes?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any comments!

how deep is your tank?

the bluer lights bring out the corals colors more I know that

and a note, softies will slow down or keep SPS from growing so it's better to not have softies in a sps tank

10Ks give you better growth with corals,while 14 and 20K lights bring out more color.The trade is more color for more growth.(I think).
UWW is right about softies and SPS.Soft corals can and will engage in chemical warfare that be bad for SPS.

Tank is a standard 125g AGA.
72x18x22

From discussion with other peeps, I'm thinking about making a custom light. My creative side is making me think doing a 175WMH, then a 250W MH in the middle, and another 175W MH on the other side.

This would give me more light in the middle (and I could put the more needy corals there) and less on the sides for the coral that seems to do better under average light.

I don't really know much about ballasts, but it's something new to research. I'll have to look it up tomorrow however, we have some friends coming over in a bit.

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming!

RyanG - Are you keeping SPS and LPS under those with no issues? What size tank, etc?

If your tank is pretty deep I would go halides, even better would be a halide with supplemental lighting such as PC or T5

I would go with 250s all around, but I guess it depends on what you get

125g/6ft. long tank isn't deep at all.Either fixture you listed will be fine to keep anything.I still don't quite understand why not go with the 250w. version.The Hamilton fixture is only $20 more and I doubt you will notice a difference in heat between the two.No doubt about it-175,250 watter or any MH is going to produce serious heat.I don't believe heat will be an issue with that size tank but the possibility is there.

I have SPS and clams under those Aquactinics,no issues and excellent growth and colors on both.Both T5 and MH has there advantages and disadvantages.Way the pros and cons,decide what is the most important to you before deciding.

it all depends on what you buy, T5s need to be replaced every 12-18 months I believe while Halides every 6.

Halides usually $40-80 depending on brand, more is usually better

T5 bulbs it depends on the length, they will probably cost slightly more but will need to be changed once for 2-3 times changing the halides and the T5s will save off your electricity bill

14 T5 bulbs will cost close to $250.You don't replace them all in one year.The manufacturers say 18-24 months for lifespan,I say more like 12-18 months.I see 12 months for actinics and 18 months for daylights on RC T5 thread.

I would go with 250's on all 3 halides that you plan on using. supplement it with VHO or T5. VHO brings out more color and T5 more growth. IMOO

Back