Urchins Question

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I got two new urchins yesterday -- a tuxedo and a longspine.

They're just sitting where I put them. They haven't moved. For all of you guys with urchins, did it take them a while to "get physical" and start scooting around? Or are they just going to be rock ornaments forever?

The longspine lost a few spines when I added him to the tank, but I didn't sweat that since I figured he had been stressed a bit. They are looking otherwise healthy and are gripping to the rocks, so it's not like they're floating around incapacitated.

when i had mine it started moving all over the long spines are usually very active. i used to have a tuxcedo a long time ago ant it moved around to but not as much as the long spine

Hmmm okay. I guess I'll see how they look when I get home.

I didn't acclimate them for as long as I usually do because I went to the LFS right before my parents arrived. By the time my parents showed up, they had been acclimating for about 30 minutes, and I had to put them in the tank because my mom and dad wanted to do stuff. Lack of planning on my part. Hopefully they're okay.

They had several tuxedos in stock when I was in there yesterday. I picked the one that looked to be the most active. They only had one longspine in, and I nabbed that one too.

The urchins were $20 apiece. But their sale price was $17 apiece (15% off all inverts). Even the regular price was cheaper than Live Aquaria.

Maybe, just maybe they're getting their act together. I hope. Have they cleaned the place up some or does it still look like a swap meet hall?

It's been looking good lately. I've gotten a lot of stuff from the store in the last few weeks. I'm not afraid to shop there like I was before! Still, my biggest complaint is that nothing is labeled or priced. You have to ask what every little thing costs.

Thanks. I will have to give them yet another shot. I really would like to see them become a great shop. It would be better for everyone in Tucson.

When I set up my tank I had 3 that were hitchhikers in the live rock.It was pretty cool to watch them grow from the size of a dime to full size.Unfortunately when my tank sprung the leak I was only able to save one.

When I sat my urchin in the tank,he took off leaving a trail of bare rock behind him.:D
But I have them take a couple of days to really become active at the store to.
Got my fingures crossed that your does good though.

Yeah my Pencil urchin when i first got him moved to a little cove and sat there for days, him and the shortspine have made quick work of the 35 pds of LR I have in the tank now. Just give them some time you know where they go though youll see a trail of nice white rock behind them. If they are not dropping spines they are fine, and trust me they will drop spines fast when they are not in good shape. My shortspine dropped half of his in under 8 hours when something went wrong in my tank. If you are really worried just use a baster and brush one of spines gently, he should promptly stiffen up and direct the rest of his spines in that direction, if this happens hes happy and healthy (aside from being a little defensive from your touch)

One of mine only comes out at night. The other three move about the tank freely day and night. Occasionally, I do notice they will stop in one place for a few days. I used to wonder if they were dead. Now I don't pay attention to it much. Maybe they're doing something weird? I'm not much of a reef keeper, and my urchins have always done well. I guess they're hardy. ;)

Back