we got a jumper... help!

ladypheesh

Frank the tank!
well, in blatant disregard to everyone else's experiences with incredible jumping diamond gobies... we just had to get one.

of course... he jumped out. I went in to check on him (in our qt tank) and our cat just started looking at me and making these crazy sounds... she was standing right over the fish like "what the heck is this????" so I scooped him up and put him back in. he's on the bottom right now, gasping pretty heavily and just kinda rolling around a little.

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP, besides wait? if it were one of my guppies I would probably douse with stress coat, but I wasn't sure for a salty.

the tank is covered with a canopy, but there is a small hole that was just big enough for him to get through I guess where it's cut out for the filter. we're replacing it with eggcrate as soon as pheeshes makes it home. yikes what an experience. thanks go to my cat for not eating it.

well it's been a little over an hour. He's just sort of laying on the sand, which to me looks better than the rolling around he was doing before. His breathing looks a little more normal too. I guess we'll see in the morning!

well he is still alive this morning! he looks so much better than he did last night so he will hopefully pull through.

on another note, do any of you use marine stress coat? I use it all the time with freshwater fish but I don't know how I feel about it for the salties. Maybe just in the quarantine tank?

Aloe Vera and Sodium Thiosulfate and ? else. I do not know. The Sodium Thiosulfate is to remove the chlorine and should be used before the water is even mixed up, and if you use RO water with a carbon prefilter there will be no chlorine to remove. I would not worry about harm but I would question if it is really effective, but others use garlic preparations and claim they work at slime coat development. It does only cost a little less than a penny per gallon to use though, so trying it would be cheap.

Stress coat generally makes us saltie's skimmers go crazy,so we avoid it.I see nothing wrong in using it if it's not making your skimmer go nuts.

Don't every fish store put a drop in the bag after a fish has been netted and bagged.

Some stores do,some dont.
I think since he made it through the night,that he's well on his way to recovering.
But I dont think the stresscoat would hurt anything.

we fed yesterday before his daring feat and we are on an every other day schedule. I'll be feeding tomorrow so I'll let you guys know.

he seems to be okay with swimming today. his back fin is kind of ratty but all of his others are fine. He was pretty dry when I found him so I guess it's from that.

Thanks for all of your help and advice, everyone.

i had a cleaner wrasse jump out of my tank ... i just scooped him back up and dropped him in ... he rolled around for about 4-6 hours then swam off ... some fish are pretty tough just give him time ... it would scare the crap outta me too if something as big as your cat was standing over my little fish body

well I checked on him tonight before dinner and he was doing fine except for his back fin seemed to be getting worse. then as soon as we got home, I ran up to feed him and do a water change, and he's dead. :cry: It sucks because it really seemed like he was going to pull through. his gills seemed to be working and he was swimming pretty normally. I guess it was just too much for him. (and of course, if he had just died the night of the jump he wouldn't have suffered so much... and we would have still been within the LFS's 48 hour replacement window....) Just part of the hobby I guess and something to learn from.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Sorry to hear about your fish. You did what you could to save him, and you did your best... Unfortunately it's in their nature to jump. When my first diamond goby jumped (on the first night I had him), I got a new one the next day. And that one jumped to his death the first night too. After losing two $50 fish in 48 hours, I decided I was done with them forever!! I'm forever a member of the Jumping Goby Hate Club.

yeah I remember reading about Tard and Retard in your build thread. You can add me and Pheeshes to that club! We are definitely not getting another one!!!!

Back