What a B**ch

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
I have 2 Clown fish in my 10G tank and I can't help but wonder why the larger clown is such a bitch to the smaller one. I figure the larger is the female and the smaller is the male. Every time I get close to the glass she, Lucy, starts to dart at him, Ricky (Ricky and Lucy from "I Love Lucy"). He shakes at her, she moves away, then darts back at him and the cycle repeats. Why is she so aggresive??? I finally picked up an Azoo quad fan, which dropped the temp. 7 degrees in under an hour! I was thinking the temp. was affecting their temperaments. WTF is her problem??? lol

well, its only 10G of water. But it went from 84 to 77 in the time I went to get dinner. I haven't researched breeding but is there a chance in the future that they could have little clowns?

2 clowns in a 10g is, I dunno, kinda small of a tank. Yeah female clowns are very aggressive, not all of them accept a male as a mate from what I've read. I personally think that one clown in a 10g is too small, let alone two. Are you planning on upgrading soon?
Those temp swings are also really gonna stress those fish if it happens often. 7 degrees in an hour is a LOT. Hope everything works out

Yeah, my 2 have been doing that for a couple of weeks. No fin damage on the male, so I wasn't worried. I attributed it to just another typical odd clown behavior. My li'l man hides in the caves, and during feeding time, he only gets a little food. She sees him feed, and she chases him away. I think it's her way of ensuring that he doesn't get enough food to be bigger.

My maroon is like that with ALL my fish. Any food comes near its spot around the RBTA, no matter who it is, they're getting chased.

2 clowns in a 10g is, I dunno, kinda small of a tank. Yeah female clowns are very aggressive, not all of them accept a male as a mate from what I've read. I personally think that one clown in a 10g is too small, let alone two. Are you planning on upgrading soon?
Those temp swings are also really gonna stress those fish if it happens often. 7 degrees in an hour is a LOT. Hope everything works out

Ya, I've got a 29g sitting in my living room. I plan on getting the LR and water for it this weekend. Those 2 clowns are the only fish I plan on keeping in it along with the regular cleanup crews. But I don't think they've been stressed in the year I've had them. I keep my water pretty steady.

Thx everyone for the posts

just wanted to remind everyone that clownfish breeding isn't as easy as you think. it's the easiest in SW, but still very difficult. The cultivation of rotifiers and all that is such a pain!

well, its only 10G of water. But it went from 84 to 77 in the time I went to get dinner. I haven't researched breeding but is there a chance in the future that they could have little clowns?
Not only is that a HUGE swing for such a short period of time, but you are a bit low now at 77. I would target 80 and try to keep it as constant as possible

Back