What are these?

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
So I got a bunch of goodies last night from a guy who was parting out his tank. We paid $125 for 80-90 lbs of liverock, 5-6 hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 snails (dunno which kind), and a bunch of frags of coral (mushrooms, yellow polyps, waving hand, and kenya tree)

However, these were on the LR, and I'm not quite sure what they are.

148833_10150328678905438_503825437_15764771_4352168_n.jpg

I am assuming this is some type of Mushroom. However, what kind?

154507_10150328679510438_503825437_15764796_6259870_n.jpg

And what's this guy? Those little brown things with the fingers.

Thanks!

First is a rhodactis anemone or sometimes called a fuzzy/hairy mushrooms like Tucan mentioned.

The second are pest anemones called majanos.They spread really quickly so kill them now.Either remove that rock and pour some scalding hot water on it or buy Aiptasia X.

You can try injecting them with lemon juice or vinegar. The vinegar will 100% kill them. That's what my brother uses.

Tweezers will only rip it into smaller pieces and still leave a base for it to regrow.

Yeah, squirting them won't do anything. They will just retract and then come out later. They need to be directly injected with a needle. I have tried using vinegar, lemon juice, boiling water and salt paste. None of those have worked for me. Aiptasia X is the best thing I've found so far for those pests.

So with the Aiptasia X, I just put it in the water...it won't harm anything else? Or do I directly put it into the pesty thing?

Aiptasia X comes with a syringe and needle. You squirt it on top of the anemone, where its mouth is. It does not hurt anything else -- only what it is directly touching. So you don't want to squirt it on any of your corals. It's a thick paste and is easy to control, though.

Back