What Are You Using For A Mixing Bucket?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I want to use an old Oceanic 6g salt bucket for my mixing bucket. Got my little 100gph powerhead and a 25w Stealth heater all set up in there. Filled it with RO/DI and added 2 cups of Red Sea Pro Coral salt (I'm experimenting).

But how do you get the lid on now? I don't want to cut a hole around the outside rim. that will make it hard to snap on. I could easily cut a hole in the top big enough to pass the electrical plugs for the powerhead and heater. But I wanted to add an air intake line to that powerhead and try to introduce more O2 to my NSW before I add it to the tank.

Thats gonna make bubbles and bubbles will pop - and popping bubbles will create salt creep. I don't care about the inside of the bucket. I just need to figure out a way to run the cords up through the top and still block the bubbles from making a mess of the lid.

I'm thinking if I cut about 1" round hole in the top of the lid, I can glue 3 or 4 layers of plexiglass to the lid and build up a sort of suspended shelf under the lid. It would be open on the ends so the cords could pass and air could also pass, but it would shield the hole from letting salt creep out.

What do ya think?

Attachments

• MixingBucket(1).jpg
    MixingBucket(1).jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 297
  • MixingBucket(2).jpg
    MixingBucket(2).jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Why do you need a lid? I don't use lids...

I explained that in my opening post. :shock:

Dust gets in the bucket. If I ad an airline intake for the powerhead to increase O2 (and hopefully pH) thats gonna make a bunch of salt creep from the popping bubbles. Also evaporation would be lower with less exposure to the swirling air currents in the dry house.

Last edited:
I use a 35 gal Brute Can that I have on wheels so I can move it from where I mix it to the tank for water changes. When mixing small amounts for the QT tank I sometimes use an old 5 gal reef crystals salt bucket.

Your idea looks great to me, but I'm lazy I just run the cords for heater and powerhead over the rim of the bucket and lay the top over it. Of course it's not an air tight seal but I feel it keeps enough out. I never really thought much about salt creep or evaporation as I usually only mix salt 24 hours.

I mix my salt on Sunday. It mixes all week in the bucket and then I change water again next Sunday. Refill the bucket and add the salt - ready for next Sunday.

But I've only been mixing up 8g at a time. I might try and find a 10-15g container to stuff in the corner. Thge frag farm really needs a 10g water change every week now - and the 30 display needs about 5-6g water change.

Back