what do i need to start a 90 gallon tank

hart.thomas

Reefing newb
hi i know im posting alot lately please telling me if its to much i just have alot im trying to figure out. im going to upgrade to a 90 gallon atleast i think its a 90 gallon the guy said the dimensions are 48"long and 24" tall and didnt measure the width. its only $100 so i think its a great deal. but i dont know what all to get

i have nothing right now. also whats the bare minimum i would want to have in the terms of rock. im goin to go to premium aquatics this weekend and pick up some its only $1.50lb so i feel like thats a great deal. i dont know what alot of things are so dont be to technical thanks :)

Rule of thumb is 1-2lbs per gallon...so you'll need approx 90-180lbs for your tank. And you're not asking too many questions, that's why we're here...to help you set up a successful tank and save you from making some if the mistakes we've made.

Too true on the questions, this is the best forum site around.

Go to the articles link at the top of this page, you'll love it.

Have fun, be excited be patient, be ready to be amazed at what you've done.

I'm very confused on filtration I've been trying to read up on stuff but I still don't understand what to get at all

Your live rock and live sand will be your primary, and best filtration, along with the good water movement. Eventually you could add a protein skimmer, which is beneficial but not 100% mandatory, to help with the filtration.

+1 Smitty

I think it needs to be said that although not necessary, a skimmer will remove the DOC's from the water before it is able to be broken down by the bacteria in the rock and sand.

Hahaha...how could he have measured it wrong. Oh well, sorry about that. Are you gonna get it, or wait until another deal comes along?

lol!! theres a bigg difference between 90 gallon and 55 gallon. I would not purchase that from him unless it comes with a great filter and some other items.

I'm not going to get it. If I find a god enough deal for that size ill get it other wise I was thinking of getting like a 50 gallon cube tank.

Back