What type of food does everyone use??

salt newbie01

Reefing newb
I am trying to decrease the amount of phosphate my tank has in it. So I am looking for the best foods to feed my fish that also have the lowest amount of ash in them. I notice a lot of reefers use formula 1 or 2. Does the ash content have anything to do with that? I do feed frozen mysis and also arctic pods. I would think those foods have less ash than say flake food. I am feeding one green chromis, one gold stripe maroon clown, one false pers clown, a yellow tang and one large lawn mower blennie. There is also a mandarin and a rainford goby but neither eat flake food.
I will continue to feed mysis/arctic pods but I would like to also use flake for a daily feed. So what do ya'll recommend??

Well I was feeding algea clip 2.5" x 2.5" square daily. With brine cube every other.

I just switched to teaspoon of arctic pods, rito feast, phyto and the algea clip daily... Seeing if more food has any effects on my system.

If your having phosphate problems make sure the skimmer is working 100%, your not overfeeding, and I would recommend adding a phosphate sponge of some sort unless your below .1 ppm.

Just what I'm doing, but I've been accused of starving my critters.
Brandon

I have been feeding aquadine flake food everyday. Not much, less than 1/2 a teaspoon but I can't find any info about how much ash is in the food. which sucks because I have been using the food for a long time but if it is packed with ash then I will stop using it.
Yeh I am going to get some form of phosphate removal media. I just haven't ordered it yet. What kind do you use - I can't remember.

pat, I used aquadine along time ago. and I dont know the content, but I think based on the size of the particle and how it looks that is going to have a large ash content. that food is really designed for larger fish and freshwater. I stopped using it cause it looks like it would constapate a horse. I started feeding strickly frozen mysis for a long time and because of the hassle desided to go to feeding formula one , two, and prime reef flake alternatly and frozen just a few times a week. But about a month ago I noticed my tangs getting lateral line, and my phosphates getting high So I recently swithed back to frozen foods and artic pods and in less than a week my tangs are looking much better. I still feed flakes a few times a week. but as little as possible.

I use this stuff called Cupramine Patrick. You should buy some and give your tank 3-4 cap fulls a day until everyone is full. Actually it should only take a few minutes....

DONT REALLY USE CUPRAMINE IT WILL MAKE YOUR TANK LOOK LIKE BRANDONS!! D E A D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am going to start feeding mainly frozen mysis and arctic pods. Maybe supplement with a little flake but not much. I'll do this and see what affect on my phosphates it has. That and I am going to get some phosphate removal media and put it in my cannister filter.

Patrick I would def. cut back the flake. I used to feed mostly flake cause it was so easy, but only when I cut that back did my trates and other things start coming down. I feed flake maybe once a week if that.

Thaw your frozen food and rinse it and that will help as well. If you hang nori make sure you remove it after a few hours.

I think the rule for the seaweed strips is about 12 hrs. I usually don't have any left after my powder blue gets done with it. Just my thoughts.

Well whats left on ly clip is just where the actual clip was holding on and yes that stuff stinks after a while in there. I take mine out after a few hours or so due to the fact that it will start breaking down and blowing around in the tank.

I think 12hrs is fine too, but over night that stuff smells bad!:pooh:

I agree David...that stuff smells like the crap in my skimmer. Oh, I am sorry Brandon and Bryan may not know what that smells like. You know...when you have the trots and you go into a bathroom that doesn't have any ventilation? That is what my skimmer smells like. I hope that helps guys.

Yeh I have noticed when I get the small piece left over in the clip out it does stink. I didn't know skimmate was supposed to smell like that. I mean my cheap little sea clone produces skimate that stinks like that and is dark green, but I noticed Brandon's skimate was more watery and didn't stink. I just assumed that was the way a "good" skimmer was supposed to work.
I guess you learn something new everyday. :mrgreen:

Now that count down clock is hilarious!!! David, I am on your side. I'll help you keep the tables turned. For a little while anyway.

Back