When it Rains, it Pours!!!

David, do you plan on talking to Zero Edge about this?

I don't know exactly what to say to them. The way the system is designed with the bulk heads on the bottom of the tank then check valves are the only way it can be accomplished. I could raise of extend the outlets up another 10 inches inside the tank itself, but it would look bad and wouldn't be as effective as far as current flow.

I have ordered new check valves and will receive them Saturday. I plan on putting two of them on each return line. Then I will have to be diligent in replacing them once a year at least.

I'm sure this has happened to someone else and I'm sure they know at Zero Edge that it is a risk, however if they mentioned it to consumers they would probably scare they off.

Maybe it is a rare instance. Maybe check valves seldom fail. I don't know. :( I know they were working over the weekend as the pumps were off as I was cleaning the tank without issue.

I sucks to be me right now. :grumble:

How long were you gone for, again? Could the tank have very slowly drained, so maybe one of the check valves was just leaking ever so slightly? Instead of just being "stuck" in the open position and draining it all at once?

The electric was off for about 2 1/2 hours as I can tell from the oven clock.
The only other thing I can think of is the 3750 gph pumps may be too much for the valves. Maybe the rubber flange just came loose or ripped off inside of it. I haven't taken everything apart yet because I didn't have replacement parts yet. Will do that this weekend.

Well the reason I ask is that even if you are not expecting to get anything out of it, they should at the very least know what happened. Like you said, maybe they do know this is a risk. But if no one ever tells them when it happens, they may not know how much of a risk. And if they do know, they really should tell people that those should be replaced every so often. If anything, maybe they will send you knew valves?
Maybe it really is just a freak thing, but man it's a huge investment loss for you on several different levels. I'd at least want to discuss it with them and make sure it didn't happen to my tank ever again.

And if they give you a hard time.... i'd be posting your story on every reef website known to man. :mrgreen:

Well the reason I ask is that even if you are not expecting to get anything out of it, they should at the very least know what happened. Like you said, maybe they do know this is a risk. But if no one ever tells them when it happens, they may not know how much of a risk. And if they do know, they really should tell people that those should be replaced every so often. If anything, maybe they will send you knew valves?
Maybe it really is just a freak thing, but man it's a huge investment loss for you on several different levels. I'd at least want to discuss it with them and make sure it didn't happen to my tank ever again.

And if they give you a hard time.... i'd be posting your story on every reef website known to man. :mrgreen:

I agree ..

Is your check valve not see through? Or just covered w/ gunk? Mine is see through, but it's slowly getting covered w/ coralline, but I can still see the flap up and down.

Wow, Sorry to hear David. I just saw this thread. You would think they would really stress that point of the Zero Edge when they sell the item. Could you put some S pipes under the tank and hook up several check valves?

Friday night update. Not much left alive. Even my bristle worms are starting to die off. The water left must really be toxic. The smell is quite strong, even though I've tried to remove most dead things.

New plumbing parts arrive tomorrow, which I'll work on redoing everything on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have it filled again by Monday night. I anticipate a very very long cycle.

Last edited:
David, I'm really sad to read about your tank. That just really sucks that thousands of dollars can be sent down the drain because of a crappy check valve.

Good luck to you, glad to hear you are trying to stay positive. Hope you get back on track soon.

David, I just read this and I've got tears in my eyes. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your pictures are just heartbreaking.

I hope you get your solution this weekend and get your tank refilled by Monday like you've planned. My thoughts are with you.

C

This whole thread is so depressing, but think of it as an opportunity to start fresh. I bet there is some cool idea you've been kicking around but didn't have a way to try...well, here you go.

I want to say thank you to all of you for being so supportive. It really means a lot to me and does help me stay strong. I truly do not get this kind of support at home, in fact I was encourage to pack things up for 6 months or so and take a break. What? Leave the aquarium empty and just sitting in the living room? Wouldn't that be a sight! :)

I think if I didn't have the support from you guys I'd likely pack it up. I can't imagine not having someone to listen and understand the ups and downs of this hobby and friends to be encouraging when needed. Thanks!

I do have some good news. Out of everything that was in my system, I have two definite and unlikely survivors. One Cleaner Shrimp and my Sea Apple. Sounds kinda funny to be excited about those two, but when everything including one's bristle worms kick the bucket there's reason to rejoice.

Tomorrow I begin the rebuild. First up, completely redoing all the plumbing with new safety additions. Hopefully this will never happen again.

Back