WHite Tail Brisstle Tooth Tang!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so I heard someone saying how they wanted one and so I decided to check it out and I have to say WOWOWOWOW!!!!

They only grow to 6.5 inches also which is great. Maybe someone with a not so large tank can have one?

I wish I could have one sooooo bad but I can't. If there was a way I would order one yesterday. I just love the red color with the lines. I guess it is because I want to add red to my tank.

I would 110% do it if I was switching my tank to a larger one but that will not be anytime soon and even then I would not be 100% how it would do with the other Tangs. I will say that I would probably not keep my Yellow Tang and have this instead. I would think the Hippo and Naso would be ok with it but you never can be 100%. So far the only Tang I see acting a fool lately is the Hippo will chase the Coral Beauty away at times. Actually I see it chase mostly if they (flame as well) ever get near a coral????

Anyway here is a link to it.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: White Tail Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus flavicauda

Last edited:
Yeah, I know a few who have them. They had one at the LFS when I got my goby. But they are in the same family as kole tangs LOL I just got rid of one....not gonna try my luck with another :mrgreen:

I'm confused - you're thinking you cant keep a bristletooth tang because you have a Zebrasoma tang? I have a Kole tang (a non pretty version of what you linked) and it lives with a Sailfin (Zebrasoma) tang without any issues

The only real issues I've ever had with my tangs, are the Kole Tang and the Achilles Tang, which makes sense because they have similar body shapes. If you can get one of those bristletooth tangs in good shape, I don't see it being an issue, unless you have other tangs that you didnt mention, but I have the following in my 180 and they are all getting along fine

In order of introduction
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Achilles Tang

I'm planning to get one of these guys as well. LA says they are peaceful, so I don't think you'd have trouble with it harrassing your other tangs, probably the other way around. It's also in a different family than the tangs you mentioned, so I don't think you'd run into the same problems as you might if you were adding one from the same family.

I have

Lieutenant Tang
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Naso Tang

I had a Powder Blue Tang that the Yellow Tang was always bothering. Never any fights but you can see the Blue was swiming away from wherever the Yellow was. He got Ich and then it went away but then got it again and it was iffy and he started staying in one small area and then I found it dead. No-one has to tell me about how hard they are to care for and all that as I already know about the Powder Blues but the Yellow Tang I have seems to be the only one I am worried about.

If you are saying the Yellow Tang would not be an issue than maybe I will get one. I just though adding a Tang this late into the tank would be misguided.

I did however take a risk by adding a Juv BlueFace into my tank. I have many corals but have been watching as many hours as I can and it seems fine so far but I already have a Flame and a Coral Beauty that I think have been guilty but nothing decimating.

This guy however is a bit different. He does not eat the food so much just yet but that is my goal so he is at least getting full at feeding time. I put Seaweed in the morning before I leave to work and some when I get home, then feed at night and every other day or 3 days I coral feed so they eat that too. I have 0 Nitrates.

The only corals I have that I am praying he does not eat are my Orange Bam Bam and my Purple Deaths which I got almost free but still I want to mix the 2 so I have the orange and purple field.

Anyway back to the main point, so you are saying the Bristle will be fine with the others. I have NO issue taking the Yellow Out if it is a D-Bag since it already pissed me off before. I only got it because my wife liked the color and of course I am the only one who lays and just watches the tank. Well me and my 6 month old can't take her eyes off it.

I didnt mean to say that there would absolutely be no issues, but a bristletooth tang is far hardier than a PBT. The PBT and other acanthurus tangs are notorious for getting ich, and having a hard time getting established. My Achilles (in the same family as the powder blue) was the same exact way.

My Kole Tang is a bastard, and is more than capable of holding his own against the other tangs in my tank. I think that there would likely be some initial tail slapping as the fish settle in to a 'who's in charge' routine - but in my experience that doesnt last more than about 48 hours. If it gets really bad you can hang a mirror on the outside of the tank. The old tangs will see the reflections and worry about that, and not about the new fish.

The rule of thumb is one tang from each family, and there are 5 familes of tang

I get it and I didn't think you were saying that. I was just meaning that I wasn't sure if this Bristle was the same as any I had as far as family because without looking it up I would not know.

This is going to be the next fish in my tank, I think. It's either that or the lemonpeel mimic tang, but probably the white tail bristletooth, since it has a reputation for being really peaceful. I'm just going to be patient and wait it out until LA or BlueZoo gets one in. And then it's MINE! BWAH HA HA HA!

Sweet take pix!! I have someone who buys wholesale on the lookout.

Hopefully save some dough over LA but I have many things from LA and it is always quality livestock and packed very well.

Back