wontonflip's 125g build

We haven't seen pics in forever? Love your set-up and can't wait to see more. Take your time with your aquascaping but if you're like me you'll change it a thousand times anyway.

Catherine

Personally,I'd move the rock first.Get the aquascaping close (you gonna change it about a thousand times any way :D) and let water clear up some.Then I'd go ahead and start acclimating the fish over.
With the fish you have,I highly doubt they'd even make a dent in the water parameters.
And please post a pic or 2 or 3 or 100:D

I will go ahead and move the rocks from the 45 to the 125 today, then take pics. So you guys are basically saying that moving the rocks first is mainly for aquascaping, and not necessarily because it may cause any spikes in the 125, right?

Damn picture whores :P Here are pics of my HEATERS (thanks for the product recommendation, dcan...so if it sucks, it's your fault)!!! LOL The drawback to these is that I have no indicator light to tell me it's working. But from what I saw overnight, my temp in the tank did go up. I might have to tweak it some more. I put them in one of the overflows for now, but I might move them to the sump. I like how they're not glass.

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

Nothing new to show with the tank itself, so here's a pic of the rodi and reserve in the sump room :)
DSC04153.jpg

My PH is pretty low...it's around 7.8. How big of a water change should I need to raise it enough? And once I do the water change, should the PH more or less stay up once I move the lr in there? My nitrates are reading around 5ppm.

I don't have a test kit for alk. I should get one, huh? Hehehe. I know while the tank was cycling, it was around 8.3/8.4. I noticed that one day my nitrites were testing at 1ppm, then just 2 days later, it was down to 0. So hopefully there's nothing wrong w/ my test kit.

well i just say that becasue if you get the alk up it will help to keep the ph up. the other thing to check is high co2 in the tank.

How are some ways to raise the ph of a tank? I don't have a co2 reactor or anything, either. I've only been testing for the usual ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, & PH. I don't even have a skimmer or lights yet. I figured I could wait until January to get those. The tank will be fowlr in the beginning, anyway. So I was taking my time doing the research on equipment And with the very low bioload, I figured I could wait.

rasing the alk of the tank will help raise the ph. there could be extra co2 in the tank that is not getting out with normal gas exchange. one way to test that is take a bowl of water from the tank and put a air stone in it. let it sit like thay for a couple hours then test the ph of that water.

Ok, Stupid question....do I attach an airpump to the airstone? :mrgreen: I have one from my freshwater days thath I could plug in. And when you say "normal gas exchange", you mean from just water movement? I"ve got an awesome ripple on the surface from the 2 k4's I have running, plus the 2 intake pipes are aimed towards each bottom corner of the tank, making a nice circular exchange.

I think a water change would help. I made a batch of fresh saltwater just now, I tested the PH and it's at 8.4 (I use Tropic Marin). So I'll do a 10% water change, and hope to make a slight raise in the ph. I"ve got it warming up now with a powerhead, so hopefully it'll be ready in a couple of hours.

ok well did you test your ph in the early morning if so that is prob why it was low it will drop at night. and yes the air stone gets hooked to the air pump. but since it is up now that is not the reason. a water change will help. test the water right before the lights go out and that will be the highest the ph is going to get and right before the lights come on will be the lowest.

Thanks a bunch, James :) :) :) I read the articles here on water chemistry, but nothing helpful.

The tank water PH is still low, but it was the new fresh saltwater I just now made that his a higher PH, so hopefully it will raise it. I'll test my tank water's ph again tonight. It's funny how just when you think you know enough you still have lots to learn! I never had to deal w/ PH swings in my other tanks before.

Ok, phase 1 complete -- I've moved the rocks, and left 3 pissed off fish in the 45 w/ no rocks, and some equally pissed cuc :)

It's so BARE with so few rocks. I'll build it up slowly...which inevitably means more aquascaping as I add. Oh well. I put lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide in. And once I get more rocks, I plan to build up the other end (which is empy right now) with a taller rock formation.

I'll have to put some type of cover on top of the tank, so they don't either jump out or jump into the overflows.

Front corner view:

DSC04165.jpg

View from behind the tank:
DSC04162.jpg

It'll be slow progress...but I figure as long as they have hideyholes, they should be ok until I add more rocks.

Think it's prudent to go ahead and start acclimating then moving the fish in now? They're in the 45 now w/ no rocks.

I found a couple of my baby snails that hitchhiked w/ the rock. Dunno if they'll survive this change....cuz unlike Yote, I did not acclimate my rocks LOL

snail.jpg

Back