Altohombre's 46 Gallon Showcase Showdown!

I thought about getting more hermit crabs. I know most people hate them because they kill their snails. Well I don't see my snails doing a damn thing. Even with 10 of them they barely cover enough area on the glass to do anything and I just scrape it off with my magnet. They don't go anywhere near the rocks. The only thing they do is clean around my powerhead from time to time. I feel like my hermit crabs are constantly working and moving around the rocks.

On a stupid mistake note: My roommate at I stayed up till 2 watching the US Open last night so I started making water at 12 cuz I was down to my last top off. Well neither of us remembered I was making water and went to bed. This morning at 11am my other roommate comes running up and tells me their is water all over the floor. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined, but a couple towels later It was clear. I knew our kitchen floor needed a good cleaning anyway.

Good enough excuse to clean the floor I guess.
My hermits usually did a decent job cleaning up the tank.But I got tired of them using my SPS to rest in.So I dropped them in the fuge.

I think hermits are great. I will get another 20 or so. I love how quickly they take care of any dead fish, snails, etc. I never have to remove anything that dies in my tank because those hermits really do a great job.

Plus my snails seems to make babies all the time. So far, i have found baby 5 snails that survived and now are large enough to not be eaten. They are still growing tho.

Soooooo.... my roommate just called me saying he got a call from our "super" saying that my little leak caused a leak into the apartment below us which had a lighting fixture fill up with water and crash down to the floor. Estimating a $400-800 fee. I'm kinda pissed off right now.

I just checked the apartment and the only damage was that the cheap plastic covering over the kitchen light fixture fell and broke. Not one speck of water damage to the ceiling or anywhere. They can't even prove that it wasn't a leaking dishwasher or something else that caused it. We're waiting for the super to call us back. I'm not paying more than $100 bucks for this crap.

It is about a 4 ft by 2 foot cover. I figure they have tons of them just laying around because they are constantly building new apartments all in the same mold all over our development.

Screw that dont pay that bill. Call a renters rights lawyer if need be. Dont tell them that you had a water leak from your tank though.

Sounds to me like the supers trying to pad his pocket with your money.
Those covers usually run about 15 or 20 bucks and take about 3 minutes to install.

the super came into our apartment without letting us know and saw that we had a towel down. What pissed me off the most is that we were robbed last week and the only evidence there was, was that it was the maintenance crew that came to change some filter which we notified them about. My roommate who has a way with words is not really furious and will fight them till the end.

i would be pissed if my super came into my apartment without telling me, even if he is the super you are living there and he should tell you if he is gonna come into your house

Updates: (12/28/08)

-Should be receiving my new camera: Canon Powershot SX10 IS in the next week

-Going to start vodka dosing my tank today and showing results in this thread.

I am still having horrific problems with hair algae and bubble algae. I use a 6 stage Ro/DI. I left my lights set at around 4 hrs for 2 weeks and there was no change. I have used phosphate in a HOB filter and a phosphate reactor with no results. I have used Sera Marin Silicate clear in a filter. I added tons of blue hermits and a sally lightfoot crab and a emerald crab and both seem to have died within days. I purchased a phosphate test kit from Red Sea and it says my phosphate is .1 which seems pretty low. My Nitrates are 0. I don't let too much food fall to the sand and even when it does my brittle star fish and nassarius snails eat it. I dunno what else to try so I am gonna try the vodka dosing.

Back