Altohombre's 46 Gallon Showcase Showdown!

See if you can find some star snails.They dont seem to be as bad as turbos at committing suicide and they do a great job.I've had the same 7 for 5 months now.

I just picked up two Intermatic timers today so I am excited to have my tank on a schedule for once. I am still battling hair algae. I have hand cleaned the tank and toothbrush scrubbed the stuff off but it keeps coming back. Seems like my Sera Marin Silicate clear and my Phosban reactor don't do a damn thing to help with the HA. None of my cleanup crew seem to eat it and the Sally Lightfoot Crab I got has been MIA for about 2 weeks as well as my cleaner shrimp has seemed to have disappeared. I am gonna assume that the Sally Lightfoot killed my shrimp and then felt bad and committed suicide.

Alto have you been keeping up on the phosban changes? They will start leaching the phosphates back into the water table after a month or so.

Hahaha! I told you not to get that crab.

Sorry. Perhaps I'm being inappropriate and unsympathetic. Let's try again.

Sorry to hear about your sally lightfoot. That really sucks.

Gotta love hair algae.
Just keep up with the water changes and you'll eventually get rid of it.
Hate to hear about the sally too.

The hair algae is still out of control. I re-added my 2nd Koralia 3 to pick up the water flow. I just don't like how it makes some of my corals not open up fully.

Unfortunately my favorite fish my Midas Blenny died. Over the last three weeks he kept getting skinnier and skinnier and being very picky on what he ate which was not normal for him at all. All the food was garlic and Selcon added and I even fed them arctic pods for snacks. All other fish appear to be healthy. Only thing I am noticing is that a lot of my snails are dying off. My temps don't fluctuate too much maybe up to 84 at highest. My salinity is good. Checked Nitrate and Ammonia and they are both good, and pH is somewhere around normal to a little high. Not really sure what is the cause of all this.

Sorry to hear your having trouble Alto.
Whats the temp dropping down to?And how high is a little high on the PH?

Alto something that I have READ(no experience) on a local board is that if you can keep your MG levels up around 1600 for a couple of weeks if should take care of your hair algae problem, like I said not from experience but it was used by three of the most experienced users on that board.

the temp doesn't fluctuate more than 3 degrees. Prob in a range of 81-84. Our electric bills were so bad we haven't used AC in two weeks. I lowered my light timer down an hour and will try to keep up with water changes on more of a weekly basis rather than every 2 weeks.

Matt are you still running your phos reactor? Are you using granulated or pelletized ferrous oxide? If you are running the granulated you should think of stepping up to the pelletized it can handle more phos without re-leaching it.

Try to manually remove as much of the algae as you can when you do your water changes.The problem with fighting algae is as the algae dies,it releases all those stored up nutrients right back into your water.

When I had hair algae I did a number of things. I began running carbon in addition to phosban, I then made one of the smartest live goods purchase I have ever made, sorry make that 2 purchases. I bought a lawn mower blenny who's main diet is algae, and then for 5 bucks I bought a pink pin cushion urchin. I put the urchin in my 20 gallon QT tank and then I would put any rock with hair algae on it in that tank. The urchin would clean the rocks within a day or two, he is very good at his job. Now you could put this type of urchin in your main display but they are bad about picking up corals that are not glued down and taking them on thier back all around the tank,, which is why he is in my 20 gallon QT. So you could keep him in the sump.

Back