Amba's Dream Tank

The 30G was going to drain into the sump, and I was going to get an Eheim to pump it back up. It shouldn't be hard at all I don't think.

Okay I banished this pest to the sump. He ate another coral, so he gets to relocate to the depths of the Chaeto and teh detritus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNbVovYCnG0&hd=1]Emerald Crab - YouTube[/ame]

Quick Clip, FINALLY got my aquascape exactly how I want it. Only had to move it 243802489032 times.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2n4DN80Og8]My reef tank November - YouTube[/ame]

Where I stand:

At this point (2 months into this build), the tank is maturing nicely. I had a leftover HOB overflow made by eshopps, and a leftover tank/stand that I wasn't using, so I decided that I would incorporate this in some way to the build. The tank is 30 gallons, and I decided that for the purposes of this addition, I could just use one of my old lights, in this case, a 130W dual PC fixture made by coralife. The purpose of this is going to be an extra space for frags (I have built more racks), and a new idea I have for growing/maintaining macroalgae. I have built cubes, about 125 cubic inches, out of egg crate. I will be stuffing these with macroalgae, and some small live rock rubble for weight, and keeping them in here as sort of a fuge. When they grow out, I will prune them, and feed them or give it away. This way, the macroalgae is easily contained, and it will look pretty sweet too. I just have to get another return pump tomorrow, and I'll be all set. I have about 200 gallons of water in the basement, so it should be good to go tomorrow. I may add a single fish, to keep the "dust" off the frags and keep things moving. I also am placing an order at reefcleaners for 30 red mangroves, which I will plant in the tank as well. Here is the plan, and an actual picture. Asking for input.

8cwgr.jpg

6CMnG.jpg

Where I stand:

At this point (2 months into this build), the tank is maturing nicely. I had a leftover HOB overflow made by eshopps, and a leftover tank/stand that I wasn't using, so I decided that I would incorporate this in some way to the build. The tank is 30 gallons, and I decided that for the purposes of this addition, I could just use one of my old lights, in this case, a 130W dual PC fixture made by coralife. The purpose of this is going to be an extra space for frags (I have built more racks), and a new idea I have for growing/maintaining macroalgae. I have built cubes, about 125 cubic inches, out of egg crate. I will be stuffing these with macroalgae, and some small live rock rubble for weight, and keeping them in here as sort of a fuge. When they grow out, I will prune them, and feed them or give it away. This way, the macroalgae is easily contained, and it will look pretty sweet too. I just have to get another return pump tomorrow, and I'll be all set. I have about 200 gallons of water in the basement, so it should be good to go tomorrow. I may add a single fish, to keep the "dust" off the frags and keep things moving. I also am placing an order at reefcleaners for 30 red mangroves, which I will plant in the tank as well. Here is the plan, and an actual picture. Asking for input.

8cwgr.jpg

6CMnG.jpg

Lol what the brown and purple stuff on the right

So I have strep throat, and gave myself the day off, so I was messing around with the camera and some pictures. Thursday I am going to grab another return pump and plumb that spare 30G to my system. I got a call from my Aunt, who has a couple of tanks, and she just can't keep up with her systems anymore, so she is giving them all to me. I won't be keeping most of the livestock, but I may keep a fish/coral here and there. She has a couple of tanks, so I'm not really sure what to do with them, I may possibly set one up as another QT tank but who knows. Also I was bored, and made this:

F9Uli.jpg

Well I am thinking I will be setting this up as a QT system. I don't really want to drill/plumb/do anything at all because I already have my hands full, but maybe I'll just buy a couple canister filters and put live rock in them and use that. My house is starting to look like a fish store, but I can't really say no to free tanks/livestock. Any ideas?

Had to break this last one off, it was over 3 feet long, so now I have a couple nice smaller pieces to stick in. This stuff is so cool:

znV51.jpg

Okay so I picked up the swag from my auntie, and also went to my LFS and got a ten gallon, and 4, 3 gallon tanks to start setting up my research/support area. This will serve as hospital for anything that isn't doing so hot. The whole system consists of a 30gal, a 20 gal, a 10 gal, and 4 small 3 gallon tanks. I got standard aquarium lighting (the kind that come with newby tanks) and just changed the bulbs from yucky yellow 6500K to a brighter, more blue bulb. I also picked up some regular filters for them, and some dry rock. These are not meant to be crazy setups, just a place of refuge for sick fish. The 3 gallon tanks are going to be used for acclimating/dipping/fragging/other coral stuff. I'm using 130W of PC lighting for these little guys. The Kessil should be here soon for the frag tank. Lots of fun projects for anybody that cares :p I'll post some pics tomorrow.

What are you going to use the skeleton for?
That thing is huge! heh heh

The only thing with dead coral skeletons is they get covered in algae, especially with all the nooks and crannies. But i guess eventually it will get covered in coraline. I love it when zoas and ricordea cover old branching skeletons.

Well that is kind of my plan, it happened with my Nuclear Holocaust Zoos spreading onto a tonga branch too. It's in the tank now and the smaller pieces are going in some of the smaller tanks. I'm getting really nice growth on everything, a couple more weeks and I'll be able to frag out some of the larger colonies, especially some of the acans and torches. Dennis have you heard of tidal gardens? It's a totally awesome greenhouse facility based out of Ohio, you would love it. Check out their youtube, I think it's just "tidalgardens". He's a pro at fragging and I think the whole place is run by just two people.

S44Fw.jpg

Back