And it begins...JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED

Yea I'm pretty happy about everything...though I would really like to get rid of this hair algae that i have going on...I think I'm going to have to break down and get a couple more hermits.
yeah i hear you there
i am going to renew my CUC soon and scrap the few i have to the 8g tank im setting up soon

Well I did turn the lights off. I think i'm going to leave them off for a couple of days to see if I can get this to die back a bit. Just until I can get a CUC from John.

Well I put in my order at reefcleaners. This is what it shows for my tank (well it was close at least)

28 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

12 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

6 Large & 6 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Last edited:
ok i have given up on my design, so im tryin to contact urbaneks on nano reefs, im trying to send him a message but i keep getting error:
The error returned was:

You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board

Sad news this morning. I woke up and the cardinal had died. He was fine last night around midnight. All of the inverts are doing fine, so I will have to see what my test results show at lunch.

That is sad. Sorry about your loss. :(

Yea this is causing everything in my brain to go in circles. He ate some mysis on Saturday, didn't eat yesterday. Water parameters were all zeros, don't know what they are today because I test at lunch. All the inverts are acting normal, which surprises me since I know they are more sensitive to water changes.

I know that the cardinals are slow swimmers and he did seem to have some issues with the flow, but he mostly stayed in the back corners or under the cave. I didn't see any indications of illness or injury. He was drip acclimated for 2 hours. There aren't any micro bubbles. So by all indications that should lead me back to parameters, but they were all zeros. I haven't gotten the reef API tests yet so those results I don't know. So the only thing I can think of was that this was stress related or he was sick when I got him.

I do have Chemi-pure and purigen in the back chambers. I had to take out the phosban because of flow. Do you know can you take out some of the Chemi-pure out of the bag that it comes in? I know one of them (Chemi-pure, phosban or purigen) you aren't suppose to, but I can't remember which one it is. If I can take out some of the Chemi-pure I would like to so I can put the phosban back in the media basket.

Last edited:
Sad news this morning. I woke up and the cardinal had died. He was fine last night around midnight. All of the inverts are doing fine, so I will have to see what my test results show at lunch.

Stupid phone! Sorry about that, I didn't mean to thank you for your fish passing. Sorry to hear it though, especially your first fish

Sorry about your fish, Reaha.
We started out with two clowns. My son named one after him and one after my sister. his died a couple months after we got it. He was pretty bummed about it.

This just came today. :)

101_0387.jpg

This just came today. :)

101_0387.jpg

State of the ART! I never even heard about refractometers when I got into the hobby a few years back. I saw my coaches/doctors use them for pee tests but never thought about it for the hobby, haha.

Bet that thing will make reefing a bit easier now :)

The CUC from reefcleaners got here today. Snails are in. I will post pics this evening...didn't have time at lunch.

Last edited:
Back