Barry's 120 Gallon Reef

Kim was cleaning the house today so that means stay out of her way and the house. I decided to clean the new tank up and see how bad it was scratched. There are a couple of really big scratches on the left side. but that's ok because that side is going up against the wall.

Left Side;
0003-CleanedLeftSide.jpg

Front;
0004-CleanedFront.jpg

Right Side;
0005-CleanedRightSide.jpg

Here's a pic of the biggest scratch;
0006-ScratchedLeftSide.jpg

You'll notice I took the "covers" off the over flow as I'm making new ones and adding one to the other side. I brought home the 1/4" black acrylic sheets yesterday. 24"x24". Ended up costing me $125. Here's where I'm cutting the slits. Slits will be 3/16" wide and 3/8" apart and 1 1/4" long. Once I get them cut I'll bend them in half 90 degrees and cut them to the length I want.
0007-OverflowsDrawnOut.jpg

I have the holes drilled, and tomorrow I'll take them to work and use the cut out tool to make the slits. I originally was going to make them from the top down to my mark, but decided to leave a 1/4" on the top.
0008-OverflowsDrilled.jpg

My next decision is to block this overflow over completely and drill 2 new ones in the back, or use this one and add another one on the right side of the tank. This one is a 1 1/2".
0009-Bulkhead.jpg

Did some more work on the overflows today.

Slits are all cut out.
0010-SlitsCut.jpg

Ready to take them to work tomorrow and bend them.
0011-ReadytoBend.jpg

Now to wait for my Christmas bonus before I can go any further with this.

I left them for one of the experts at work to bend. My like I'd screw them up. One of the owners will do it when they have a few minutes. Tank is going to be re-sealed next weekend so I'll put them in a few days after that. I need to get the holes drilled and a few plumbing parts before then so I know how much I can cut off them.

I bent the overflow's tonight. I just have to cut 4" off each side of each one so they don't take up too much room. I think Rob is coming over this weekend to re-seal the tank so I might be able to put them in then. I did find out that my current drain is 1 1/2". Just picked up and length of PVC, a couple elbows and a male fitting. I needed the so I could figure out how much to cut off the acrylic.

0012-Overflows1.jpg

0013-Overflows2.jpg

0014-Overflows3.jpg

0015-Overflows4.jpg

No water yet? :0 still look awesome though

Thanks Mandarin!! I'm afraid if I put water in it right now, it'd run all over the garage floor. There's no silicone in it. LOL! It'll get wet once I get the bulkheads & plumbing in place. That way I can see if it leaks. Sometime next year it'll be done unless my 55 sells.

With the silicone still drying, and my garage almost all cleaned up. (Summer item put back up on the shelves.) I was a little bored so I decided to plumb the only overflow I have a hole drilled for. I went for the same style I have on my 55 just made it a little taller so I didn't have to listen to the water falling over the edge of the Reservoir.

0017-Overflow1-1.jpg

Here's a view of the holes I drilled in the sides and top of it.

0018-Overflow1-2.jpg

These next 2 are for the dimensions the acrylic pieces are going to be cut down to. 6" from the back, and 8" from the side. Should leave lots of room for corals.

0019-Overflow1-3.jpg

0020-Overflow1-4.jpg

I going to make the other side the same way when I get the holes drilled. I might do that next weekend if I have time.

Looks like its really coming along Barry.

Thanks Brian! This part is the easy and not too expensive part. It's all the equipment that's going to slow it down.

I ordered 2 - 1 1/2" & 2 - 1" bulkheads yesterday. They will be here next weekend. I also had to order 6 new bulbs for my existing fixture so there's goes $120.

The build looks like its coming along great!!

Thank you very much!

Secondly your dynamics with your wife is hilarious.

She loves me....at least I think she does. Just wait til I post what happens when I take her shopping in Windsor next weekend and we make a side trip on the way home.

200 GALLON And 90 GALLON Aquariums. - Windsor Region Buy & Sell Goods - Kijiji Windsor Region Canada.

Can't turn it down for $150!! :)

Back