Bob's Ghetto Build!

everyone likes the scaping, maybe I should just leave it that way. Actually, I just threw it all in the tank cause it was 9:30 at night. I didn't actually place a single rock.....lol

Maybe we try TO hard to get the PERFECT formation?

Wow just threw it in huh? You have lucky placement skills because the thing looks great! Looks like the fam had some fun with the trip.

Looks like you missed your calling in life to be a bombadeer for the air force with precision drop placement like that!

Last edited:
Well, I've been playing around a bit (a lot!) with my rock, and its isn't my calling in life, thats for sure. This is what Ive come up with on the one side of my tank. The other is just a pile of rock.

thanksgivingandgrandmas007.jpg

Aint a thang wrong with that Bob.
Looks great and will look even better when there are some corals growing on that rock.

Looking good bob just make sure that its stable, if it passes the shake it test then you have done a fine job.

oh ya, its all held together with rods.

Heres the final product, almost. The 50lbs in my 46 will be used to build up a bit more on the right, but I wanted some tighter areas for little fish etc.

finaltankshots001.jpg

finaltankshots014.jpg

thanksgivingandgrandmas007.jpg

finaltankshots005.jpg

finaltankshots019.jpg

finaltankshots027.jpg

On a side note, ammonia and nitrites are at zero, nitrates are somewhere between 80-160, hard to tell the colour way up there!

Looks really nice.
You should drill a small hole just below the water line on your return line. If the pump fails or power goes out, the tank will drain until the siphon is broken when the water level drops down to the output of the return line. That's looks like alot of water that can drain into your sump...and onto the floor.

looks good bob, lots of place for coral growth, and if your ammonia and nitrites are at zero, then go ahead and do a water change to drop the nitrates

You may not have an ammonia spike.
When you use all cured rock,its possible to completely skip the cycle.
Tanks looking great BTW.

rock was not all cured, 90lbs of it was direct from bali.

I noticed the colour has changed since I added the rock, the tank has developed a greenish tinge. I can't explain it, its not like the water is dirty, more like crappy lighting. This doesn't make sense since everything was a nice crisp white till I added rock. I'm wondering if the colour on the rock is giving it that look, but I want my white back.

Green tint can be an algae bloom. Not all that unheard of in a cycling tank. Let your tank finish cycling and if you still see some color, run carbon for a little while.

Ok, this was tonights project. I hate messy cords, anywhere. I'm anal about it kind of, so I picked up a new power bar. I also installed a GFCI recepticle, and fixed the broken ground wire in the wall. The bar I picked up is a 4 foot, 12 outlet bar designed for workbenches. Its metal and very heavy duty. I put the two 2X4s for two reasons. One the return line was in the way, and two if the tank overflows, it will hopefully be far enough from the back glass to at least minimize the water pouring on it.

BTW, these pics were taken by me standing behind the tank. With it across a corner, I can slide in alongside my sump and get to the back. Then there is tons of room for me to work, move powerheads, clean glass, you get the idea. I am really happy I went in the corner, simply for this reason. Heres a few pics....

backoftank006.jpg

backoftank007.jpg

Looing good, thats cool that you can get behind the tank, kinda like a mini-fish room. Itll give you room to add a calcium reactor or some other largish piece of equiptment too.

Must be the weekend for cleaning up wiring Bob. Im in the process of rewiring all of my ballast into the basement stairwell so that I can more easily use my new timer.

Back