Cannister filters for saltwater

Some pics of my tank. I am planning on adding more live rock.

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02183.JPG

DSC02185.jpg

Yeah, you need a ton more rock! Aim for 1-2 lbs per gallon. You can buy dry rock (cheaper) and it will turn live in your tank. If you get in on the bulk reef group buy that is going on right now you can get a pretty sweet deal on dry rock!

Here is my tentative plan...you guys tell me what you think. I'm gonna build my own sump. In the meantime my cannister filter is broken and I ordered a HOB filter (Fluval C3 series) to get me by until I build my sump and get it running. Should I build and install the sump first (which will take me several weeks)? Or should I get the dry rock installed first and get it started on becoming live?

Oh, let's be clear, in a salt water tank, live rock rocks as the soul of the tank and water chemistry is the rudder of the tank.....

..so, yes, rock

Last edited:
just google vids of reef tank rock stacking... more than you even want to watch...
.... but mostly check out mature tanks pictures and wing it...

What do they mean by "cooking" dry rock and givining the rock an "acid bath" before adding to tank? I thought this was done only with LR???

Last edited:
You don't need to do those things, just order from BRS or Marcorocks, rinse the dust off the rocks, and you should be good to just put them right in your tank. In saltwater, rock is your primary filtering system and is the biological filter, a protein skimmer serves as your mechanical filter, and if ever needed you can run GFO or carbon as a chemical filter. You really do not need any sort of other cannister or HOB filter that is used in freshwater. Bulk Reef Supply has some pretty good videos for aquascaping ideas as well :)

OK, my HOB skimmer has a leak coming from the J-tube. Anyone know of a simple way to fix the leak without having to order a new tube?

2 part epoxy maybe? I used it to cover a hole on a return line one time and it held. I guess its like the reef safe version of duct tape!

Take it out and dry it... then flex it just enough to open the crack a tiny bit and apply super glue control jell. Will be as good as new.

I've decided to place some Chaeto in my DT until I get an HOB refugium.
1.Any types of fish that might eat it all up?
2.Where can I get some Chaeto for cheap?

I've decided my cabinet space is too small to build an effficient sump with refugium.

Also, I've decided to add 40-50lbs of dry rock. Any specific kind/quality that might be more beneficial to my tank?

Last edited:
Nevermind friends, I've decided to go with Marco rocks which was suggested by one of the ladies on this particular forum...Thank you "little_fish"...
Although Chaeto is cheap to buy, the shipping is too expensive. Anyone have any they want to get rid of??

Chaeto is very hard for most fish to digest, if you want a macro that you can turn around and feed to your fish, look into Caulerpa.

Any good LFS should sell chaeto. If the stores near you don't have it, try finding a local reefing club, members there should be more than willing to part with some of theirs, my local club forum has had posts giving it away to new hobbyists for free in the past

Back