Coral Growth

Good thing I read this, I'm just about out of salt and ive been using instant ocean. And an Instant ocean calcium test, cant get it above 250, dont know if the kit is crap, or the salt is crap, or both most likely... I think I'm going to try reef crystals next, thats why my friend always uses and his tank looks great.

So if I mix up a batch of new saltwater for a water change, then I have to add the calcium right? Is powder or liquid form more effective/better?

I use a homemade two part solution. It works awesome for very little cost. Since I started adding it you can see almost daily growth on my monti caps. I have too been using IO salts but not for long.

I like to dose my tank to get it where I want it to be. I add the mixed salt water let it sit for a day and then test the Cal and DKh and dose the DT

-Doc

Ok, so I should probably just dose the display tank if necessary then? I'm assuming that doesn't harm anything as long as I keep it within reasonable range.

correct. DO NOT add powder directly to the DT water. that will make a mess. add it to a glass of RO water to make sure it mixes.

-Doc

So if I mix up a batch of new saltwater for a water change, then I have to add the calcium right? Is powder or liquid form more effective/better?

I personally think the powder is best. you get more for you're money. It seems I remember reading somewhere that the liquid has more impurities in it than the powder. someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

I'm with reeffreak on the kent salt. I switched to it a few months ago, and I never have to dose anything right out of the box. and I have noticed a big change in lps and coraline growth.

After I use up all of my salt I am definitely going to switch to either Oceanic or Kent

I had trouble keeping ph and kh up when I used oceanic. the old oceanic website (they changed it several months ago) stated that the salt mix was designed to be used with limewater, because doing so normally causes high ph, they make the salt mix with a low ph and alk to compensate. other than that it seemed to be a good salt.

I have been pleased with the numbers of Reef Crystals. It is pretty expensive here for much less than oceanic. I have not had trouble keeping my numbers up using oceanic. I get the 200 gallon bucks for $15 less than Reef Crystals and I only get 150 gallons out of them. No brainer for me.

-Doc

So while were on the subject of growth, I have noticed lately a bunch of little white sacks, about the size of a pencil eraser, attached to the underside of my rocks. There are about 20-30 of these things and I'm assuming these are eggs. They surely can't be good, right? Should I swipe these with a toothbrush or leave them alone?

I have them too. Mine are sponges. I have them all over. kinda cool. I agree with Biff.

-Doc

I actually am working on a series of pics of my Pink birds nest ,

Every 2 days or so I am taking pics of this thing and I am gonna do a time lapse morph of it should be neat.

12/6 2007
Colt003.jpg

12/17/ 2007
daypics015.jpg

Last edited:
Back