d2mini's 6g Not-So-Edgy "Fluval Edge" Tank of Leftovers

Ya, your tank is where i got the idea from. Nice job!
But honestly I'm still hating the light output. It's barely enough to grow any coral directly under it, but nothing grows or barely survives around the rest of the tank. Even simple mushrooms stretch like crazy trying to get closer to the light. The hood blocks too much of it.

I wish I could find another clean rimless style tank with it's own filter system that looks good on a desk, but that I could then hang a standard light fixture over.

oh, and welcome to LR! :regular_w

Ya, your tank is where i got the idea from. Nice job!
But honestly I'm still hating the light output. It's barely enough to grow any coral directly under it, but nothing grows or barely survives around the rest of the tank. Even simple mushrooms stretch like crazy trying to get closer to the light. The hood blocks too much of it.

I wish I could find another clean rimless style tank with it's own filter system that looks good on a desk, but that I could then hang a standard light fixture over.

oh, and welcome to LR! :regular_w

Oh the joys of choosing form over function :frustrat:

Im not giving up on mine yet. been workin on a zoanthid garden and all my frags have done very well. Just setup my spare edge and used the opportunity to completely redo the rockwork. I really focused on utilizing every inch of spread with this scape.

Best of luck to ya!

Hey Dennis, I know you've got a lot going on with the mini d2mini build lol. But, I found this today and thought I'd send the link your way since you didn't have very good light output with your mod.

Nanotuners.com

Oh man, thanks dude! That's exactly what my tank needs. The lighting sucks, even with my dual 13w cf upgrade. I wish I had the extra cash for this right now. Maybe later in the year....

A lot of big fish in the cichlid family and some others pull plants out because it makes them feel safer to see if danger is coming or to see their prey better since they are eyesight hunters. Also cichlids are egg layers and say a more common one like an Oscar likes to lay their eggs on a flat surface in the open to see if anything is coming (not all do that but Oscars seem to like it). If you see a big planted tank most of the time it has angel fish, discus, and schools of small fish. I haven’t seen a monster tank with cichlids that’s stayed planted when the fish were full size but that’s just me :P.

The only plants you may keep with cichlids are a few anubias, and java ferns. maybe a few amazon swords and select mosses but they will 99.9% move it and at some point or another eat it especially with the mbuna malawi cichlids. Im in the process of selling or trading 40 demasonis that i bred here locally so i can set up my 2nd reef tank :D

Hmm, maybe once I'm done setting up my reef I'll turn that 30 gallon tank I have in to a nice little planted freshwater. :D

Well, unless all my savings are being used to run the reef... :shock:

Hey Dennis, I know you've got a lot going on with the mini d2mini build lol. But, I found this today and thought I'd send the link your way since you didn't have very good light output with your mod.

Nanotuners.com

I think I may finally pick one of these up.
I'm selling some frags out of my tank so I should have some cash to spend on it soon. :Cheers:

I wonder which led color config would be best....

Well, my LED's are ordered (should be a few weeks till I receive them) and I just received a brand new oem hood for the edge since I did some work with the original fitting the current lights.

With the new setup, i should be able to keep any damn coral i want. :D

in-FREAKIN-credible! :shock:

I got my nanotuner led today, it's powered up only about 1/4 and my coral is all WTF, MATE! :yikesu:
The spread is sooo much better too. My edge is now lit up well from edge to edge.
This tank really needs to just come like this.

Back