Edgy Fluval and Frag Tank

Thanks, I spent a lot of time on them and I won't be happy if they burn out. They are 100% sealed up. I also learned the hard way needless to say LED strips (the kind with just the diode exposed) do NOT work above a saltwater tank =( =( =(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmxfPY0QjxA&list=UUA3yFaDkstsC4WeSpMTM6Hg&index=1&feature=plcp"]Fluval edge - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to stock the hell out of it in a couple days, I think I want to add more light. I'm thinking two CREE hyper red LED mounted right into the stock plastic ballast. I want red in the spectrum, but I know 660 red induces algae and can harm corals in large amounts.

Dennis - Did you ever see a decline using the Radions because of the 660nm red cree? I'm pretty sure if my knowledge of physics and wavelength is correct if you have MORE blue than red it will "drown" out the red receivers in the corals basically blocking it with the blue. I've heard a lot of people who have a horrible overbalance on red and it kills everything. The newest PAR38 has two cree reds and I think that's too much.

When you are looking at the tank and you turn the reds on full, it's hardly noticeable.
Visually, it brings out certain colors in the corals ever so slightly.

I think it's because the Radion is well balanced with the LED colors. I was thinking of mounting stunner strips somehow on the back of the tank. I need more POP. The R2 moonlight adds some nice shimmer but I want more.

Dennis - Did you ever see a decline using the Radions because of the 660nm red cree? I'm pretty sure if my knowledge of physics and wavelength is correct if you have MORE blue than red it will "drown" out the red receivers in the corals basically blocking it with the blue. I've heard a lot of people who have a horrible overbalance on red and it kills everything. The newest PAR38 has two cree reds and I think that's too much.

I have one for my grandfather's cube, which I'm currently testing on my eel tank. The red blends in well but the green... :zombie:

It looks greenish is I go above 8%. In Vivid Aquarium's MH vs LED experiment this is their settings:

ecotech2.jpg

See, no green? Weird, seems like EcoTech overdid the greens...

And BTW, I don't believe the reds on the radion are crees...

Sorry to have vanished like that, as I said in my dream tank build, I had some pretty serious, "real life" stuff happen over the last months, so I had to tear down most of my tanks and basically quit the hobby. If you haven't seen my new thread, I'm doing a new build; I have everything except the tank/stand which are due to be picked up Monday morning. I had to rip apart the Fluval as well, (and I sold that frag tank to a friend) and not only because of the events that I had going on. It has no livestock in it, all the rock is dead. Here's why.

3VGFM.jpg

MgPtk.jpg

Ry5cm.jpg

As you can see, the Fluval edge was NOT designed to be used for saltwater. The salt crept up, and despite my very best efforts, it ruined all of the electronics. It fried the R2 moonlight, and those LED bulbs managed to get water in them after all (d2mini was right, go figure :p ), anyways, I just ordered two new LED bulbs that are WATERPROOF, and hopefully I can get this going again. I have plenty of equipment from my other builds to do something really neat with this tank. I really hope the ballast isn't ruined, it has a lot of brown gunk (I have no idea what it could be) around the sockets for the MR11 to insert. I'm pissed about it, but these things happen. Hopefully the ballast isn't ruined and these new bulbs work. I'll update this when I have something to update, bulbs should be here next week.

Back