d2mini's 6g Not-So-Edgy "Fluval Edge" Tank of Leftovers

I flattened one side of each reflector so I could overlap them, since you have to keep room in the hood to fit the top of the filter system. So the ballasts are pretty much butted up against each other. Then we secured each ballast with two bolts, using the mounting holes on the ballast. We did have to drill through the reflectors, but i think only one side each as the other side cleared the reflector. But what we did though, instead of having the screws go through the hood, making it unsightly, we used 2-part marine epoxy to basically weld the head of the screws to the inside of the hood, effectively making POSTS that the ballasts then slid on to, with a nut to secure them. So from the outside, nothing is visible.

The only downside to all this is that the hood is now pretty heavy and you have to be careful taking it on and off.

The fans are not strong at all, but they have been enough for this tank. I only have one of those cheap stick-on temp guages, but it seems to sit right at about 80 degrees.

And everything inside the tank is just loving it! Sooooo much better than those stock P.O.S lights!

So i picked up this torch coral with 4 heads last week, hoping my little clown would mistake it for an anemone. Well after about a week i look over and there he was! Going to town in his new home. :)

Only problem is he loses his new home at night when the torch closes up. So no bed to sleep in all night but he's a happy camper during the day!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZzk96XMPKw]YouTube - Clown hosting Torch Coral[/ame]

lol man awesome clown d2, mine never hosted anything damn her. :frustrat:
really coo watching your clown seems like hes madly inlove

I've just been changing the water once every couple weeks and cleaning the glass once a week or so. I'll see if I can get a new FTS....

no thats like a regular aquarium lol. what's the water change percentage?

and this was a planted tank first right? i remember about a year ago. got bored of it?

tank looks awesome though. im going to have a crack at it.

Ya, you know freshwater... once it's set up that's pretty much it. Borrrring.

Now my tank is the excitement of the office. :lol:

I change about 2 gallons worth and its a 6g tank.

I through in some ecobak pellets about a month ago instead of the biomedia it comes with, and I'll change the carbon every month or so.
It's tough and the lighting sucks big hair monkey balls. EVERYONE tries to do something with the lighting. That's the tank's biggest downfall imho. I wasn't planning on doing saltwater with it originally. If I was to do it again, I'd get a rimless ADA tank, make a wooden block for it to sit on a-la this tank, and then attach a light to the tank like some of the other nano setups or hang a decent light from the ceiling.

Here's a FTS.

From left to right you can see my yellow clown goby, my clown in his torch coral, and they are hard to see but my two sexy shrimp (little sexy and big sexy as they are affectionately know around here) are on the rock on the top right. My yellow watchman goby is still in there but he almost never does more than stick a head out of the rock. Most of the time you can't see him anywhere.

1176690528_uMrZV-O.jpg

Here's a FTS.

From left to right you can see my yellow clown goby, my clown in his torch coral, and they are hard to see but my two sexy shrimp (little sexy and big sexy as they are affectionately know around here) are on the rock on the top right. My yellow watchman goby is still in there but he almost never does more than stick a head out of the rock. Most of the time you can't see him anywhere.

1176690528_uMrZV-O.jpg

I really like the tank! All the shells and such on the ground kinda give it a more beach like feel to it. :)

Back