d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

LMAO. I saw that 80/20 stuff at Grainger when I was building my hanging kit in my canopy. That stuff was super expensive if I remember right.

It was about $120 for the entire setup, including nuts/bolts.
Cost me almost the same for my "beta" unit made out of the hollow aluminum bar stock from HD.

Yeah, but I am guessing it all came complete. I would have had to fab the thing together, figure out mounting of vertical bars to horizontal, and find some sort of end caps.

Glad to see someone is making these things now. Especially after looking at all the different set-ups on RC.

The other local reefer guy here just went to the local distributer with exact measurements and explained what he wanted to do and they worked it all out. He happens to have a tank almost identical in size to mine which is what made it easy for me to just get a duplicate setup. So the local distributor drew it up in cad and then cut everything to spec. Vertical to horizontal mounting would be done with the same corner gussets I think? And the end caps came from them too. I think the only thing not supplied by them were the bolts for the radions and hanging kit on top.

From what i heard, you can request their catalog which is just full of tons of pics of what people have created with this stuff.

Right on.

Oh, BTW, I loaded your Radion graph the other night. I was retarded enough to try and open it without having the Ecotech software up to begin with.

Cool! I actually just set up my radions again this weekend so I was looking at the graph and realized the blues weren't on at night. I turned the royal blues to 24% and the brightness to 20% (full) in night mode. A little bright maybe? But not bad.
The software has changed a bit since I've used it. haha

I originally had mine at 100% and ended up losing a bunch of stuff. Everything now down to 65%, with a black out at 11:00pm. Trying to mimic the same lighting schedule I had with the MH and experienced great coloration and growth.

Ya, me too. For reason 100% didn't seem that bright compared to my old mh/t5 setup so that's the way I had set it in the beginning, but it was really shocking the corals so I started turning it down. This time I'm going to start around 65% max and go from there.
Does your tank look bright enough at 65%?

I originally had mine at 100% and ended up losing a bunch of stuff. Everything now down to 65%, with a black out at 11:00pm. Trying to mimic the same lighting schedule I had with the MH and experienced great coloration and growth.

LED illumination is tricky on the eyes.
For a fixture using 3 watt LEDs, going from 50% to 100% does not seem to produce any additional illumination that can be discerned by our eyes. But the energy being delivered continues to go up.
Electronic instruments pick up these changes easily, but our eyes and brains seem to disregard the difference.

That must explain why I fight with the morning and evening ramping up/down of the lights. Seems to go from 0-100% brightness much quicker than I have graphed out... pisses me off!

Can you export Radion settings and import settings someone sends you? That would be killer.

I love that the RadIons can communicate with the MP40/60's too. The more I read about these lights the more I want a pair.

d2mini, everytime I see you post in your topic here I get excited hoping to come in to a bunch of awesome new pics. :-D

Aren't you flying down to florida soon? Or is that still a few weeks away?

haha, sorry. :)

Actually, I should have been diving right eff'ing now!!!
But I caught a virus this past week and had to postpone. :(

Now I'm about to book flights for this sunday night with a monday morning dive. Woot! :D

Can you export Radion settings and import settings someone sends you? That would be killer.

I love that the RadIons can communicate with the MP40/60's too. The more I read about these lights the more I want a pair.

Yup you sure can. Dennis sent me his, I also have one from a guy in my reef club, a dude in Germany, and from Jonathon (the head of Ecotech Customer Service) :^:

Back