d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

d2mini updated d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

200g Display tank with fish room, display refugium and frag tank.

We built a new house and I built this completely custom setup specifically for the space I chose in the new house (the dining room) which shares a wall with our garage, making it a perfect place to finally have a fish room. The tank was ordered through my local fish store and built by Deep Sea Aquatics to my specifications of 7' x 2' x 2' with a coast-to-coast overflow and drilled for a BeanAnimal drain setup. I also ordered their support stand which I knew would eventually be covered by custom floor-to-ceiling cabinetry. A did all the plumbing and fish room construction myself. My discussion thread has tons of pics of the process, even showing the garage floor being epoxy coated.

Other notable equipment is Ecotech Radion Pros for lighting, two Ecotech Vortech MP60's and two MP40's for flow. I am currently using a LifeReef skimmer. The return pump is a Reeflo Barracuda Gold and it provides flow for the entire system including my reactors which are fed through a manifold plumbed into the return. And the whole tank, including daily Auto Water Changes, is controlled by a GHL Profilux controller.

View updates to this showcase item...

d2mini updated d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

200g Display tank with fish room, display refugium and frag tank.

We built a new house and I built this completely custom setup specifically for the space I chose in the new house (the dining room) which shares a wall with our garage, making it a perfect place to finally have a fish room. The tank was ordered through my local fish store and built by Deep Sea Aquatics to my specifications of 7' x 2' x 2' with a coast-to-coast overflow and drilled for a BeanAnimal drain setup. I also ordered their support stand which I knew would eventually be covered by custom floor-to-ceiling cabinetry. A did all the plumbing and fish room construction myself. My discussion thread has tons of pics of the process, even showing the garage floor being epoxy coated.

Other notable equipment is Ecotech Radion Pros for lighting, two Ecotech Vortech MP60's and two MP40's for flow. I am currently using a LifeReef skimmer. The return pump is a Reeflo Barracuda Gold and it provides flow for the entire system including my reactors which are fed through a manifold plumbed into the return. And the whole tank, including daily Auto Water Changes, is controlled by a GHL Profilux controller.

View updates to this showcase item...

LOL! :D

New frags i picked up this weekend...

20131123_DSC2607_200gReef.jpg

20131124_B241475_200gReef.jpg

20131124_B241481_200gReef.jpg

20131124_B241483_200gReef.jpg

Dude,

Awesome tank build hate to know what that cost ya. It looks complicated, is it? Hopefully in a few years I will have the knowledge to do a smaller scale build for my wife and I. She wants a wine room with a tank in it.

I'm sure it looks complicated, but when it's yours and you built it, it doesn't seem complicated at all. If that makes any sense. lol
This is my 4 sw tank. The first, everything was done by my LFS and then i left the hobby for a few years. When I came back i started doing everything myself and you learn new things with each build. By the time I got to this build I really new what I wanted, and I was still doing lots of research and looking at other builds for ideas. So i had a pretty good plan to start, and then other ideas would come to mind during the build process. And what may look complicated, is actually stuff that makes my life easier, like the auto water changes for example. :)

BTW, that cyphastrea i posted above went totally down hill. It's at least 50% gone. I have no idea why. I hate that!!! :mad:

Thanks for getting back to me, im still on page 25 on your thread..lol but enjoying it. I'm still new to the hobby working with a 65gl tank. Enjoying it, ready to move up to a 120 drilled. But really itching to do something crazy like yours on a much smaller scale maybe. Where I guess it gets complicated for me but easy for you when its your build is all plumbing going every direction, where a valve needs to be, the right type, a manifold, bean animal, and pumps. Not to mention when you start talking about safety measure of airlines and stuff. That's where my knowledge stops, I have been looking some of it up as I catch the terms and see you talk about it. Just not fully getting the whole thing yet. I guess in due time I will when I move to a sump system, and start playing around with other equipment that I can use in bigger tanks.

I like the mixing station, did my own version of a mixing station after the whole bucket changing concept got old. I'm using a trash can, and a pump, buy my RO water, mix and circulation for a day or so and max salinity and temp and then pump it out into my tank as needed. Where did you find those 65gl tangs at? What has been the most helpful besides this site in gaining knowledge to get you to the point where you knew you could do a build like this or one smaller? I live in NC now retired Marine waiting for my house to sell, were trying to get back to cider park, TX. They have some small dealers here for fish but nothing for inspiration or knowledge.

I have a Tractor Supply near my house so that's where the containers came from, the Rubbermaid tubs as well.
You can also try Tank Depot.

Go to the DIY forum on ReefCentral and read the BeanAnimal overflow thread. You can also get a good overview from his personal website here...
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx
That should help clear up some plumbing confusion. This system has worked flawlessly.

You can see tons of great builds on ReefCentral in the General Discussion forum but there is also a Large Tanks forum for 180g and up. Some insane builds in there.

p.s.- Thanks for your service!!!!! :cool:

Thanks, I will look that up. I am only a member of this site and like this site the most, its more organized and simple to navigate, unlike some of the others that look like chaos and ads all over it.
I agree with ya there. That's why I chose this one, too.

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a 300 gallon (96"x30"x24") when we move to a house. Still quite a ways away, but I like organized. But Dennis ans quite a few others here have given me great ideas.

Dennis, I'm sure it'll come around. Did you dip it?

What the scoop on using the "live sand" from Tampa Bay from the middle of the ocean versus the substrate you buy local. Is it just to avoid gravel vacuuming that big of a tank?

Thanks, I will look that up. I am only a member of this site and like this site the most, its more organized and simple to navigate, unlike some of the others that look like chaos and ads all over it.
Agree. But at least you can still browse and use them for their info. ;)

Dennis, I'm sure it'll come around. Did you dip it?
Yup! I did dip it in Revive several days ago. Didn't seem to help but I have not given up hope.

What the scoop on using the "live sand" from Tampa Bay from the middle of the ocean versus the substrate you buy local. Is it just to avoid gravel vacuuming that big of a tank?
OMG. I start all my tanks now with "The Package" from TBS. I believe that using his sand and at least some of his rock (i use all his rock in my systems) is the reason I always end up with a trouble free tank and a very quick cycle. The sand is sifted right off the very top of the ocean floor in Tampa Bay so it's chock full of all kinds of organisms/critters/bacteria/etc. He ships everything in water, air freight, so it gets packed up and shipped out in the morning and you are picking it up and putting it in your tank in the afternoon. And many times it was in the ocean the day before. And all his holding tanks use NSW, so even if its in there for a short time, it's still as fresh as can be.

I understand the benefit by it being natural, but not sure if you mentioned it or TBS, but something was said to the fact or indicated that gravel vacuuming is not needed if you use this type? Or did I miss read it that this is only a small layer under your normal substrate and you still do your normal gravel vacuuming and cleaning?

Back