d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

MORE PROGRESS!
More money, and MANY more hours in the garage... 'tank" god I have a patient wife. :bowdown:

Plumbing is done! Tank is filled! System is running! :^:
Well, for small periods at a time.
My Reeflo Barracuda return pump is mega powerful. Running only the tank, the output valve is closed down to probably 25% at the most. Once I get the chiller plumbed in, that will let me open it to around 50%. And then once I start up the reactors, that will use up a little more. But I still may need to downgrade the pump.

Anyhoo... here's some pics!

7482900200_15ca80608e_o.jpg

7482900036_d9f9d7cdfe_o.jpg

7482899932_bbbcd8f9f7_o.jpg

7482724044_8f2068cea1_o.jpg

7482724640_4495480e4b_o.jpg

7482724268_d2c26332db_o.jpg

Thanks! It's been a lot of work but it's all coming together now.
And it's a bit of relief knowing that the whole BeanAnimal plumbing worked going through the wall. That was all a bit stressful and taking a chance on my part. :)

wow have read this whole thread from start till now and cant wait to see how it comes out and im learning a lot from all these big tank builds and hoping to implement some ideas when i start up my 100g but amazing job man

Ok so now I have a good build when I go to do my next tank. I already told you I wanted the 8 or 10 footer so I glad someone has this set-up so easy to see. I still wanted a behind the wall tank so I can hang my lights and pull them out of the way, etc..

So I have a few questions.
1) Are your reactors running off the return line? If so why is that better or does it not matter. I ask because I have my Carbon and GFO with their pumps sitting in the return section of my sump. Of course they are not sharing a pump like your set-up so is that why they are in-line on the return line.

2) Your auto-top of line in the wall. Is your just running on the float you posted for me to see or is your manual with the float as a back-up? There are just no pix on how that is set-up if it is even done yet.

3) Is the red air line on the last Bean Pipe actually plugged in or just hanging because like your pix I could never tell from the original web page where the guy has his pix.

4) The return pipes. Are they allowed to be anywhere or is it better to have them behind the wall like that. Are you adding more to them so the water comes back in front of the overflo box.

I think that is it for now. Look nice though and I can agree with no closing in the room now. You would need a larger area if you wanted to close it in and have access to everything easily I would think.

Last edited:
Thanks! :)

Answers for Phastroh...

1. Yes. Advantage is I don't need a separate pump.

2. Right now just the water lines are run, not hooked up to anything yet. They are running behind some white wiring track attached over the chair rail all along the walls to my water containers and my RO/DI and sink drain some 40 feet away. I will be using dosing pumps and controller to run auto water change all day long every day. As well as run an ATO with kalkwasser. None of this is set up yet.

3. The airline comes out the top of the sch 80 cap, goes through the wall to the tank, and is attached to the overflow so that the open end of the tubing is higher than the water line in the overflow. This drain is not a siphon, it acts like a regular durso. Water is flowing only down the sides of the pipe because air is being sucked in through the red line. If the main siphon (the middle drain) clogs and water starts to rise, the end of that red line gets covered, cutting off the air supply, turning this drain into a full siphon, allowing it to flow a much higher rate and make up the loss from the clogged pipe.

4. The original design has the beananimal drains right behind the tank. It may have been done, but I have not personally seen anyone extend it to the other side of the wall like i did, which required about 6 extra inches of horizontal pipe before the downward slope of the sanitary tee.

On question #4 I think I may have not worded it right.

What I meant was I see the return water is dumping into the overflo box in the tank. I meant are you going to extend that so the return water enters into the display side of the overflow box or just keep it hidden behind the box so that you can't even see it from the front of the tank.

Also I wanted to add or ask about your water changing all day long.

Are you saying you will have water being pumped out and new saltwater in all day like a gallon a day or 5 gallons a day.

If so I have to say that has to be rare but man the water will be the cleanest. Your skimmer will be bored.

I also finally ran the RO line through my attic. Not too hard. WHen I had the electricians add in a few new lines just for the tank and all with a 4 plug unit that had to cut a panel out of my closet to drill the cross running 2x4 so I was able to take that panel off and share at least the hole they drilled for the wires with the water line. The wires are all insulated and the water lines bends off to the right as you will see in the pix I post so I am ok with the water/electric mix. I have not finished the tank end yet but I will later tonight but I still have to go post some pix right now.

Last edited:
It is dumping into the display. The water is creating an optical illusion. The two downturned elbows are on the display side, and the vertical support piece of pvc with black zip tie is in the overflow.

As far as the water change, same setup I had in my cube. I used a LiterMeter III to handle it. It changed something like 13 liters per day. Came on every few minutes and pumped just ounces out (old saltwater) and then the other pump would come on and pump the same amount in (new saltwater). All day long. Every day. 365/year.

Search for "auto water change system" and you should find my thread showing the whole thing.

MORE PROGRESS!
More money, and MANY more hours in the garage... 'tank" god I have a patient wife. :bowdown:

Plumbing is done! Tank is filled! System is running! :^:
Well, for small periods at a time.
My Reeflo Barracuda return pump is mega powerful. Running only the tank, the output valve is closed down to probably 25% at the most. Once I get the chiller plumbed in, that will let me open it to around 50%. And then once I start up the reactors, that will use up a little more. But I still may need to downgrade the pump.

Anyhoo... here's some pics!

Not only am I amazed at your setup, I'm amazed at the picture quality. Makes me wish I was more knowledgeable (and patient) with plumbing stuff. :D

That's premium quality stuff right there. I look forward to seeing your tank with stuffs in it! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
It is dumping into the display. The water is creating an optical illusion. The two downturned elbows are on the display side, and the vertical support piece of pvc with black zip tie is in the overflow.

As far as the water change, same setup I had in my cube. I used a LiterMeter III to handle it. It changed something like 13 liters per day. Came on every few minutes and pumped just ounces out (old saltwater) and then the other pump would come on and pump the same amount in (new saltwater). All day long. Every day. 365/year.

Search for "auto water change system" and you should find my thread showing the whole thing.

Oh yeah it does look like it but that line from the bottom of the tank was looking like the overflo wall haha. Yeah I would like to check that thread out.

I won't do that here on mine till I can get a new room. We are looking to add about 300sq.ft. to the house but of course that still won't allow for a fish room because it is on the backside of the house and behind my tank in my walk in but man all the plumbing to my master bath is right there haha.

I would love to move the bath and walk in to the other side of the room and take over this side haha. Maybe in another house one day but this house is new and big so it is looking bad for me.

Back