d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

With the water being open in your garage what are the plans to keep it clean? I know there is a simple answer but I am too simple to figure it out :)

When your done are you going to tell us the damage? Money wise.. lol I know its a bit of prying, but with something that badass id like to know ahaha.

Or is it one of those, if you have to ask situations :)

Maybe Outside contaminents can get in. Like the way roofs are outside air does come in. Maybe not enough though.

For example when the bug truck goes by you can smell it in the garage at times. My garage has a ceiling and your prolly does as well so it's minimal except in cracks or not cracks per say but tiny openings.

I am going to install a cover with plug in for my auto top off tank and it is inside. They say water sucks up ions when it sits open or even in a container that can't deflect them.

I am not a scientist obviously but I read that when I was reading about RO/DI water.

Or is it one of those, if you have to ask situations :)

Pretty much. :lol:

Actually, i have no idea.
Just the tank and support stand was almost $3k.
Some stuff like the lights I didn't pay for or came from my old tank.
But I can probably make an educated guess that if you were to add up the retail costs of everything so far, regardless of where it came from, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k when all said and done. Pretty easily. Definitely more once I fly to tampa and get my rock/sand. And that's not including another $3-5k it will eventually cost to have professional cabinetry done around the tank and stand. GD it. Why'd you have to go and ask that? :grumble:

But I can probably make an educated guess that if you were to add up the retail costs of everything so far, regardless of where it came from, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k when all said and done. Pretty easily. Definitely more once I fly to tampa and get my rock/sand. And that's not including another $3-5k it will eventually cost to have professional cabinetry done around the tank and stand. GD it. Why'd you have to go and ask that? :grumble:

The price you pay to go BIG! I didn't need to ask because I already know. I feel your pain. In the end it's something you and your family n friends can enjoy the rest of your lives so it will be all worth it. Are you going to go through TBS for your LR and sand as usual? With that much rock I bet you get more than one mantis lol

haha, ya i got 3 mantis in my cube.
But since I'm moving all that rock to this tank, i'm probably going to get another 100 additional lbs. Still mulling that over. And all new sand.

Lol sorry Dennis didnt mean to kill the dream, just trying to figure out how many jobs ill need for a tank like yours ;)

In all honesty, worth every penny in my opinion :D The tank looks beyond amazing! Us dreamers like to know how much all the best stuff cost all thrown together!

You are flying to Tampa? TBS or his house is near where I live. Been there a couple of times.

When I moved tanks I took out half but at that point I had no Mantis left. I dried or for 3 months after pressure cleaning it. I then cyclled my tank with it and then moved the rest from my old tank to the new one. I was able to keep all my rock and rid the tank of any pests.

I made my bridge all out of dry rock. Except for the coloring up you mentioned I liked it better.

Next tank I am going all new dry rock to start and fill in the spaces when it is cycled with my established rock. I am leaning toward a similar set up like your tubs or have a tub I can move all my established rock for bacteria purposes.

This way I can aquascape my tank exactly as I want and still not have to worry about my fish. I am looking to keep a similar 2 island look with a badass bridge this time and a deeper trench. I want take time and build it perfect and not have to be concerned on delaying putting my fish in. Plus I will use Dr Tim's One and Only which will establish the tank much faster and better.

Just some things you could consider. Using your tubs to hold your good rock is not a bad idea. I actually seeded my sand with my TBS sand. I still have like 70lbs of it in my garage but it lost its coloring.

Last edited:

hit me up when your in tampa!! everything is going to look great! top notch workmanship for sure.

Ok, here's some details on my mounting solution for the lights.
Remember, this is just a temporary solution until I have the custom cabinetry build and the Radions get mounted inside the hood.
It will be something similar but more complicated. This setup was thrown together just so I didn't have to hang 4 individual lights from my ceiling. Consider it a beta unit that could be made to look prettier. ;)

Basically, it's two 9' sections of hollow square aluminum bar from Lowes that I cut down to 7' and cut a channel down the center with a table saw.
Sprayed them with some primer and then a quick coat of black.
Got some longer bolts that thread into the radion mounting screws and some washers. This is what holds the radions in the aluminum bar, and they can slide back and forth.
Then I realized I needed to tie the two bars together for support so they didn't twist so I got some 12" x 1/4" threaded rods from Home Depot and some matching washers and nuts and drilled holes through the sides. One rod on each end.
The wires used to hang from the ceiling are typical Sunlight Supply hanging kit hardware, or what Ecotech sells as their hanging kit. I think this was the same hardware I had from my beta units.
I just sent the other end of the wire through the ceiling sheetrock and secured it in the attic.

The radions just slide in from each end and can slide back and forth for infinite side to side adjustment.

7547273760_30ca24a2b6_o.jpg

7547273672_a6d136c1eb_o.jpg

7547273472_019049e459_o.jpg

Back