d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

Thanks, everyone. :)

Been organizing a little under the stand. Ecotech, anyone? :mrgreen:

8463040931_353128ac1f_o.jpg

So is your filter room in the garage? If so dont you see temp rises in the summer? I know here in San Antonio my garage gets hot as hell in august...

:lol:

So is your filter room in the garage? If so dont you see temp rises in the summer? I know here in San Antonio my garage gets hot as hell in august...
Yeah, it gets warm but not too bad. I don't have a chiller yet and last year the water temp topped out at about 82-83 degrees. I think the combination of having a brand new house that has good insulation, the fact that two of the garage walls are interior walls, and that the garage faces east and is on the northeast side of the house all helps. Plus we also keep the house around 72 during the day and cooler at night so that might help cool the water a little bit when it's in the display. I would like to get a chiller eventually though. Not only to stabalize the temp but if we lose power in the summer I won't get any benefit from the house being cool so the chiller can run on the generator.

I hope that new house came with a kick ass energy efficient ac system...I dont keep my house that cool in the summer and my electric bill in August was a killer...

Thats pretty damn good. My home was built in 2010 and is 1900 sq ft, 14ft trey ceilings in living room/master/dining and kitchen and 1 ac/heat unit. My highest winter bill was $230 with heater running; we shall see where mine is around summer with the ac unit running. Its hot here in Alabama, I would imagine it would be around the same as yours and you have 1500 more sq ft so again, thats not bad at all. kudos to energy efficiency :)

Yeah, so much better than my last house which was smaller and had bills well into the 400's.:shock:

We have gas heat so my highest gas bill this winter has been less than 90 bucks. :)

I had an old house built in 1908 in the historic region of mobile a few years ago; it was elevated with a poor insulated crawl space which resulted in a $500 gas bill. Moved out asap haha. As for your new home and tank, did you have them add a separate amp breaker for your tank and equipment? I thought since my upgrade is going in the living room, I should install one for my setup to not pull electricity from the rest of the living room but was unsure if it was needed or not.

More progress on the cabinetry. :)
Canopy doors still need some tweaking, but other than that it is complete, including caulking and paint touch-up.
Got some much needed storage down below and still have access to all electronics.
Canopy doors should go on later this week.

8479500470_d257a1a211_o.jpg

8484357846_5720cbb581_o.jpg

8484357982_a843643cbb_o.jpg

8484357924_72635ee44f_o.jpg

8484609470_72ae05ac46_o.jpg

Awesome! I was like maybe you should have gone with stained cabinets but then I think it probably would have been too dark.
Thanks! Our kitchen cabinets are a really dark brown like the floors, but in this case I wanted it all white which IMHO goes best with the bright white/blue tank. :)

Amazing, Dennis!
Thank you! :Cheers:

Looks amazing! But then I wouldnt expect anything less from you ;)
haha, thanks! :mrgreen:

hey d2 did u get the new pro fixtures in? sorry if u posted i didnt see it. i just ordered my upgrade was wondering if u had eyes on it first?

I've been following along, and been missing my setup everytime you post an update. Thanks for keeping me in the "game". I have been thinking about upgrading my skimmer when the time comes. Would you have bought the next size bigger had the deal been there or do you feel the size you got is enough? Do you have any regrets with that skimmer or completly happy with it's performance?

Thanks!
Actually, I would have bought one size down. This skimmer is oversized for my tank and would probably be more efficient if I got the 200 instead of the 250. But it was a good deal! haha

Back