D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

That is amazing!! Nice clean cuts. Beautiful stain too. I like dark stains, but not too dark, just like that. You've got good taste dennis.

So you are going acrylic Dennis? OBTW lounge last night eh? :)

Thats a great looking stand.
It'll really look good when that new tanks sitting on top of it.

Thanks guys. :)

So this weekend I made some measurements and sent a sketch to the tank builder that shows the support structure under the top of the stand so we know exactly where we can and can not drill holes. I decided I definitely want to do the corner overflow, but it's going to be a little tricky to fit the bulkheads around the studs. I just need to wait and see what he comes up with now.

The reason i decided for sure on the corner overflow is because the my current 46g has a center overflow on the back wall and the room between the overflow and the front glass is about 12" and it's way too tight. I have very little room for stacking rock and placing corals. Only 1 inch of visible sand bottom in the front, corals are getting to close to the glass to clean it with my magnet... this is half the reason I'm upgrading. No more room! So I don't want to end up with the same constraints. The corner overflow will really let me take advantage of the depth the cube tank offers. Should have lots of space this way. I just hope the overflow doesn't need to be TOO big to get around the underlaying support structure.

HA! No, i had to reach into the fridge to grab a bottle. But you're right, that would have been nice. :mrgreen:

how big is the support structure? is it a 2x4?

Yes... lots of them!
You can sort of see that there are several 2x4's at each corner and then the base and top is made up of 2x4's standing on end with extra cross bracing. It took two of us to get this in the house with a third guy walking along with us for added safety. :D

661624392_TtpzV-O.jpg

so would you say that its a little over built, just to be on the safe side?

sounds like the stand i built.. i went overboard, but i dont worrie about it now either!

Considering the first stand I got for my tank was a cheap particle board stand. I worried about that every night. Spilt a bit of water on it and it started swelling:shock:

so would you say that its a little over built, just to be on the safe side?

sounds like the stand i built.. i went overboard, but i dont worrie about it now either!

I finally got rid of my old 240, but they didn't take the stand because they were building their own, so I was just going to dismantle it and throw it in the trash. I started taking the old stand apart to find it was held together by a few tiny nails!! Like, the kind of nails I use to hang pictures on my walls! I was horrified... God I must've been so lucky that it didn't collapse in on me!

Better overbuilt than the alternative.

Thanks! :)
I was just measuring the interior and I may be a little tight for height space, but I was tired of my current stand that I build nice and high for viewing but also so high that I can't do anything in the tank without standing on a stool. That gets old. I'm looking forward to being able to reach in the tank without the stool. But my current stand also has a very slim base so I think that's where I lost a few inches in my measurements.

The interior is 27" tall if you measure from the stand's floor, to the underneath of the top in between the two cross bracing studs. If you measure from the floor to the base of the studs it's 24". I guess I'll just have to be careful choosing the skimmer and making sure the sump is built to hold the correct water level for the skimmer.

yea, skimmer selection may be something to put some thought into.. something else that you might think about is if you can get one that will just fit, and then you could put a drain hose comming off the cup to something like a milk jug or something thats easier to empty than a cup...

oh, just for fyi i built my stand out of 2x6's, and everything is screwed together using 2-1/2 inch #8 drywall screws and is glued.... it aint gonna go NO WHERE!

Back