D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Dennis if you click on the home tab the loop still slideshow it shows two different square tanks. One about 12" deep and the other one 18-24" deep with very cool rounded corners. That's probably what your looking for. It's the first and third pic.

http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/index.html

The site isn't the best, but the tanks are very cool. Most of the tanks are pretty much custom ordered and are built to your specs. There are many different cabinet finishes as well. You can send an email to Brett the owner or call for an estimate. It takes then about 5-6 weeks to build your tank.

Now for the two pump thing winy and I were mentioning, both of my pumps are traditional return pumps, pumping water back up to the tank from the sump. I must not be explaining the closed loop idea very clearly. Maybe something can chime in here.

I think i get the closed loop part now. The water never really enters the sump. It just goes down to the pump, through the pump and back up to the tank.
The other pump lets the water travel through the sump (and protein skimmer and fuge) like what I have now. Correct?

Is the closed loop pump sucking water from the overflow? So i would need two drains, correct?

And what about the returns for the closed loop? Where? How many? How are you directing the flow?

I need a diagram, a 3D model, and stiff drink. :lol:

Dennis that is going to be a badass tank! Check out Miracles in Ontario CA for a custom tank if you are having trouble, there prices are a little bit higher than GC but glasscages tanks are horrid so its worth the money.

Closed loops suck IMO. I have one I hate it it blows PERIOD! I would look at doing a dry area in the center to put a couple powerheads or a vortech or two.

OBTW Im so jealous of your house everytime I see it. Not usually into contemporary designs/furniture but I LOVE your digs man.

lol, thanks Ryan!

So if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do not like about the closed loop? And is your whole system running on closed loop or is it split up like we were discussing above? I didn't like the idea of running just the closed loop, but I'm intrigued by using it just for the additional flow.

dennis, that tank is gonna look realy nice especially in your beautiful home! if you are gonna use a closed loop you should not have the suction come from an overflow. the reason for this is the pump will suck air bubbles into the closed loop and bubbles will be shot all over the tank or you will have to pick a small enough pump that won't suck air in. the suction should be low enough so you don't create a vertex on the surface to insure no bubbles get sucked into the pump. If you do use a closed loop make sure you install shutoff valves and quick disconnects on both sides of the pump. that way if you need to change/clean the pump you can turn off the water, remove the pump with little effort to service it. I heard many comments like RyanG about miracles vs glasscages too but have no experience with them personally.

dennis, that tank is gonna look realy nice especially in your beautiful home! if you are gonna use a closed loop you should not have the suction come from an overflow. the reason for this is the pump will suck air bubbles into the closed loop and bubbles will be shot all over the tank or you will have to pick a small enough pump that won't suck air in. the suction should be low enough so you don't create a vertex on the surface to insure no bubbles get sucked into the pump. If you do use a closed loop make sure you install shutoff valves and quick disconnects on both sides of the pump. that way if you need to change/clean the pump you can turn off the water, remove the pump with little effort to service it. I heard many comments like RyanG about miracles vs glasscages too but have no experience with them personally.

So if not from an overflow, where do I pull water from? Remember, it's full walk-around so I don't have a "back" panel to work with.

Thanks!

it would have to be from the bottom of the tank. but keep in mind if you have any issues like a leaking bulkhead you will have to empty the entire tank to fix it. i will look for a pic and post a closed loop intake.

here's a pic of a closed system from the bottom of the tank.

20070316_Drain_BaseFlex.JPG

the strainer is the intake to the pump on the left and the return is the right. you can adjust the return so that it hid in the rocks but make sure you have it high enough so it doesn't start a sand storm.

here's how i would recommend you plumbing it if you do decide to go that route. notice the shutoff valve is between the tank and the disconnect. this is so you can remove the pump for service and not have to empty the tank.
103_4929.jpg

a question i have for you is what type of reef are you going to keep? if this is a walk around consider the equipment needed. will it all be able to fit under the stand? pump, skimmer, electronics, ca reactor, kalk reactor, etc?

a question i have for you is what type of reef are you going to keep? if this is a walk around consider the equipment needed. will it all be able to fit under the stand? pump, skimmer, electronics, ca reactor, kalk reactor, etc?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I'll make sure I have plenty of room. Mixed reef. The stand is going to be near 3ft square. My current 46g bow has everything in the stand. I don't have reactors though, just my two little fishies phosban reactor. I'll be using a custom sump so I can figure out the size. That's my next project once i get the tank and stand. I'll make it work. :D

And I always use shut off valves like your pic shows. Definitely good advice.

So earlier in the thread we were talking about doing a combo closed loop/traditional overflow. I guess I'm still a little lost on how to integrate both. Or if I even should.

are you thinking of having an automatic refill system? i have one on mine so when i go on vacation i don't have to worry about anything.

Yup, that's the one thing not in my stand. I have a 10-12 gallon ATO container in the adjoining room. Love that thing. lol

what would be your equipment list? and what kind of reef tank are you going to keep?

Mixed reef similar to what I have now with softies, lps, sps, clams, anemone, various reef safe fish and critters. Live rock and live sand. Sump below with skimmer/return/fuge. Maybe an Octopus Extreme skimmer, still looking into that. For lighting I'm looking into a MH/T5 combo fixture with moonlights, suspended from ceiling. Reefkeeper Lite controller. I'm open to adding reactors later but for now I'll be dosing liquid supplements.

Dennis you said that you are going to do an ato in the adjoining room? Any chance you could do a remote sump in there?

I personally hate my closed loop the pump is under powered so I have to use powerheads anyways, the pumps are loud even a very quiet pump will be noticeable IME they suck energy like a hemi sucks gas. BUT with you doing four sides unless you are going to put in a dry area in the center with you overflow esthetically a loop my be your best option. In a 100gal tank I would look for about a 3600gph pump

As far as the glass cages vs miracles arguement my lfs owner (RandyO from RC if you're familiar) ordered three tanks from GC two of them had the bottom blow out in a year. He refuses to set up or sell the third. He has ordered ten or twelve from miracles and hasn't had a single problem.

Dennis just a couple things.

1. I remember you inquiring about rimless tanks and raving about how i love them. glad your doing it.
  2. your house is AMAZING!!!! end of discussion
  3. Im with ryan on the closed loop scene. however I think if done right it is hands down better than powerheads. there are amazing opportunities to hide any source of flow however my pump is underpowerered and have powerheads in there too. and think i will be getting rid of my cl within a month. my pump is noisy. i can hear the hum when all is quiet in my house upstairs and in the garage. If i had thicker walls and a more powerful pump and basement to keep the pump in i think a closed loop setup would rock.
  4. best of luck to you on your journey. I have dont many transfers and moves and have had 100% livestock transfer success with no deaths less 1 snail i could not get off the glass that i accidentily pulled the shell off of. so any questions when you get to that point fee free to PM me and I would be happy to help, It is quite simple. easier than I always play out in my head.

Thanks, Alex!

So what do you guys think about this?
What if i still have a center column overflow but not exactly dead center? Even thought it's a full walk around, we would probably spend less time on the window side of it, as opposed to the other 3 sides that will get more traffic. See my house pic to see what I'm talking about. So i was wondering if maybe i should push the overflow several inches "back" towards that one side to give me more real estate for aquascaping on the "front" side. Or would that just be weird?

Also I'm thinking of making the tank 36x36 instead of 32x32. :D

Back