d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Those drinks do look good! I like the second one a lot! I made me want a cosmo! But then I remembered its 9 am!

How did they do the half and half thing with the first one?

Besides tank pics, can we see some new Wally pics?

UPDATE!

Some of my sponges were finally starting to deteriorate a little bit so i decided to pull them out, which i just finished doing. Still have a few in there though. Recently I lost my clam and a couple sps frags that I just put in there were close to dead within days. Toxins from the sponges? What do you think?

I also discovered that a couple of my test kits went bad so just a reminder to think about that if you think you're getting some odd readings.
Before I realized it was the test kits, i thought the Brightwell salt I was using was giving me problems so i just switched to Reef Crystals last week with a 45g water change. Guess I'll stick with it since most people seem to like it.

Speaking of water changes, my auto water change system seems to be tweaked and working great now. Of course the large water change I did kinda made me have to start over as far as monitoring long term effects of the automated system.

I also got my 2 part system from BRS up and running and it seems to be working well.

Current water parameters are...

Calc - 500 - a little high, will back off on the dosing
Alk - 9.5
Mag - 1400
PH - 7.8 - I need to raise this somehow
Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 79
Nitrates - 5
Ammonia - 0-5

848960200_mFbt5-O.jpg

848960247_i3NLu-O.jpg

848960333_jxeaK-O.jpg

848960447_vygow-O.jpg

Wonderful pictures Dennis. Your Kole Tang is beautiful.

Good decision on pulling the near deteriorated sponges. Sorry to hear about your SPS. I'm trying my hand at an Acro right now, we'll see what happens.

Dude your tank looks more amazing each time I see it.
For the SPS, I really don't knoe if the sponges might have killed them with toxins, but your params look real good. 500ppm calc isn't as bad as you might think ;)
Which SPS species were they?

Geez Dennis. Even when you believe your tank is in "bad shape" it still looks better than almost everyone else's tanks on their best day. :grumble:

This is truely an epic build, I went through all 77 pages and all I can say is WOW. This is truely an inspiration. Thank you.

Looking awesome as ever Dennis
Thanks!

Wonderful pictures Dennis. Your Kole Tang is beautiful.
Thanks, just got him yesterday. That weird looking crab killed my sailfin tang. :(
Anyone know what this guy eats? He doesn't like my rods food or either of the two nori that i tried.

Dude your tank looks more amazing each time I see it.
For the SPS, I really don't knoe if the sponges might have killed them with toxins, but your params look real good. 500ppm calc isn't as bad as you might think ;)
Which SPS species were they?
Thanks! Birdsnest was the most recent but it looks like it's coming back. Phew! The leather frag may have stopped deteriorating... we'll see.
Don't remember what the other sps was but it was similar to the birdsnest. I suck at remember all the names.

wow Dennis, your tank is amazing.
Thanks!

Geez Dennis. Even when you believe your tank is in "bad shape" it still looks better than almost everyone else's tanks on their best day. :grumble:
haha, thanks biffy.

This is truely an epic build, I went through all 77 pages and all I can say is WOW. This is truely an inspiration. Thank you.
Thank you! And welcome! :)

Thanks, Catherine.

I forgot to post a pic of the vents a local reefer cut into the back of my stand for me like a month ago. I have one fan mounted inside blowing air out and will get another at some point. They are located below my ballasts and RKL equipment that's mounted on that wall. We only went half depth in the middle for added structural integrity.

849106476_ZHkCx-O.jpg

Dennis, do you know what kind of macro you've got going at the base of your orange ball sponge? Is it a Halimeda?

p-80740-halimeda.jpg

I've tried that twice with no luck.

C

Dennis, you didn't include calc numbers, could that be the problem with your clams or sponges? I don't know if either depends on calc and that's a tiny bit of halimedia in a big tank so probably not but maybe?

C

Ya i did. Here's a copy/paste:

Calc - 500 - a little high, will back off on the dosing
Alk - 9.5
Mag - 1400
PH - 7.8 - I need to raise this somehow
Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 79
Nitrates - 5
Ammonia - 0-5

Sorry to latch onto your thread, Dennis, but is halimeda good for our tanks? I have a small patch growing in my tank as well. Wondering if I should let it be or rip it out? Why does it use so much calcium? Sounds strange for an algae to be consuming that.

Back