d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

I have lost several Clowns due to jumping. I have had a Mated Pair that favor an anemone so it keeps them happy. Never had a Tang jump out.

Tank looks great!

That overflow setup is awesome. I love the dry area for the vortechs. Is there something missing from the actual drain lines? It looks like it's just 2 pieces of pipe with no durso.....and if that's the setup, it will be gurgling quite loud.

Capt, check out this thread on RC for the full explanation.
NEW plumbing method for an ULTRA QUIET REEF TANK!!!! LONG !!!! - Reef Central Online Community

But to answer your question, the only thing that's missing in that pic (but is installed now) is a strainer on the top of the shorter drain. Basically, the gate valve on this drain right above the sump is used to control the height of the water in the overflow, keeping it several inches above the drain opening so no air is being sucked in. Now if the strainer starts to clog and the flow slows down, the water will rise and start to creep into the emergency drain. You'll hear this happening because it will be making noise like you said. In the event that the main drain becomes fully clogged, the e-drain will flow the full amount of water until you realize what's going on.

Now i have not tried this yet, the tank still has a few more gallons to go filling up, but that's the general idea and it seem to work for everyone that tries it and sets it up properly. If worse comes to worse, i just swap that short pipe out for a durso setup.

i give it less the four months before your floor turns white
Why is that? Does this happen to everyone not using a canopy?
I will be ordering Flor Tiles, to go around it, i just haven't gotten to that yet.
Btw, the floor is laminate so it fears nothing. Except floods. Knock on wood.

What do you do for a living, Clearly I am doing somethimg wrong.
Haha, if you must know I'm a senior designer in a packaging graphics design studio.
Basically i draw stuff on a computer all day.

haha, yeah pretty much. :)

ok so here is the plumbing in the overflow again.
Everything major is complete and the tank is running.

The pic shows the main drain front right with the strainer on it, 3-4 inches below the water.
Behind it in the middle you can see that open pipe sticking out above the surface of the water. This is the emergency drain.
The water will never get higher than this drain. The main drain is running at a reduced rate, fine tuned with the gate valve and holding the water steady at that water level.
If this drain starts to clog, the water will rise and start to flow down the emergency drain which has no restriction on it.

And let me tell you.... it is DEAD SILENT!
The main drain has an extension in the sump to dump the water below the sump's water level.
But the emergency drain does not, so if it starts to flow you will here it splashing.

745841959_AibTG-O.jpg

Im truly jealous. This is one of the nicest setups i've seen. I'd have to say either this tank or dcan's zero edage is the best tank of LR.

Keep up the good works. Looking forward to seeing it fully stocked. :Cheers:

You'd best watch your mouth, boy. You'll get yourself into trouble talking like that around here!

sorry! when i said dcan's zero edge, i really meant Biff's 90 gal. Please dont send the mob to my house to take care of me. No pony in my bed pleeeeaaaase. I dont know what i was thinking god mother :bowdown:

Biff just so you know I had nothing to do with that statement. No\thing at all. BTW your tank is very beautiful. Extremely. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose

sorry! when i said dcan's zero edge, i really meant Biff's 90 gal. Please dont send the mob to my house to take care of me. No pony in my bed pleeeeaaaase. I dont know what i was thinking god mother :bowdown:

Very well. I will forgive you this one time. No seahorse head for you. This time.

Biff just so you know I had nothing to do with that statement. No\thing at all. BTW your tank is very beautiful. Extremely. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose,:pooh:nose

I believe you when you say Alex C. Game acted on his own accord. I do not believe you would betray me in the way that he has. You are loyal.

Nice knowing you cthegame, see ya on RC :regular_w

Hahahahahaha!!!

Back