DeLucs' BioCube 14 Build

delucs414

Reefing newb
Hey everybody!

I'm back after almost 2yrs, from when i shut down my 40 gallon reef. I have now finished with college life and moved back to my home town, and i am very eager to start a reef setup. I decided to start small since i don't have a whole lot of room at the moment, so i went with a Coralife BioCube 14. Here it is!

DSC_0279_zpsf650da88.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsdff369ce.jpg

I live in Canada and theres only one store here dedicated to saltwater, they were asking $350 +tax (13% in Ontario). So i went online and found the tank for 189$ with free shipping! Once i ordered that i purchased a few other things.

DSC_0294_zps827bc435.jpg

20lbs of sand
75w Jager Heater
Koralia nano 425GPH
BioCube magnet cleaner
Salt
and decided to try Dr Tim's One and Only Live Bacteria

To Buy List:
-refractometer
-reefkeeper lite
-dry rock

also im going to be making a stand for this in the next couple days and after a few months i plan to retrofit to LEDs from rapidled.

but for now heres a couple more pictures of the tank!

DSC_0287_zps71fed34f.jpg

DSC_0288_zps24be89ba.jpg

Whites
DSC_0292_zps33e7c064.jpg

Blues/Whites
DSC_0291_zpsde093002.jpg

thanks guys and gals! im glad to be back.

One thing i learnt is that, u have to be patient in this hobby, so u guys have to be also lol. im gonna be building the stand hopefully in the next couple days so im hoping she will be up and running soon.

So yesterday i put a wanted ad on Kijiji (Canadian equivalent to craigslist) for dry base rock. I got an email this morning saying this person had about 35 lbs of rock he just took out of his tank a couple days ago cuz he had to much and is asking $20. im gonna go check it out around lunch time.

the lfs here sells base rock for $3.49/lb and live rock for $16/lb which is pretty crazy. i guess they can cuz theyre the only saltwater store in town, but their prices are so high its ridiculous. i paid 93$ for two Ocellaris clowns when i first started my 40 gal (5ish yrs ago). just sucks that theyre so over priced, i support them as much as i can, cuz theyre actually a really good store, but when it comes to coral and fish i just cant do it anymore. Their equipment is fairly priced tho

So i picked up some rock!!

DSC_0299_zpsbb0ad853.jpg

i discovered when i got to the persons house that it was the same couple i sold a lot of my equipment to when i left. They were super nice, they have a huge tank and everything in the tank even the clowns i gave them looked awesome.

once i got there they had told me they weighed it and it was 55lbs, and if i still wanted it for $20 it was all mine. so i took it all. theres a huge variety of small and large pieces. gonna have a fun time aquascaping:^: they said they cleaned the rock and scrubbed it, but im gonna do it once more just to be safe!

i also found an old oak night stand in my parents basement i will use temp. until i make my stand:D

so when i woke up this morning i looked outside and see this

DSC_0305_zps8c66bcad.jpg

DSC_0304_zpsf4becb69.jpg

we had maybe an inch of snow all winter, u could still see the grass.

got about a ft of snow on my car and its still coming down pretty good, but that didnt stop me from getting supplies for my stand.

DSC_0300_zps3b2c85b0.jpg

got some progress on the stand. i got my dimensions from the actual biocube 14 stand but made it taller and made it outta 2x3s and 1/2" MDF to make it nice and solid.

DSC_0308_zpse8a1c1fc.jpg

DSC_0310_zps36703221.jpg

will be continuing it after supper and probably tomorrow.

The stand is just about done!:bounce: all thats left is to fill the holes and give it a couple coats of paint. im very pleased on how it turned out. what do u guys think?

DSC_0315_zps88132410.jpg

DSC_0317_zps37821f48.jpg

DSC_0320_zps640f86a1.jpg

thanks Smitty! my dad helped me out bit so it wasnt all me.
all thats left is painting it:bounce::bounce:

question for anyone who can answer it, would you put a coat of polyurethane (or something similar) over the paint or just leave the paint?

Back