Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

The floor looks good Doc.

Happy you finally got water in that tank too.

And thanks for not stalling us on pics like Biff did.:Cheers:

like the floors doc. it must be a popular choice of colors and paterns nowadays. I have the same color laminate, and the same color tile in my house.

oh yeah, tanks lookin' good too.

ban.gif

I'm scared.[sarcasm]
Doc,
You see how this new found power has gone to Biff's head.

Dom, you know we are cool. You are allowed to pick on me when you want. Just as long as you have my back when Biff gets on a power trip...:mrgreen:

As for the circulating water, yeah. I took a pic. Maybe some newbie will take a look and think..."damn, I shoud have put in a powerhead instead of stirring it with an old pair of chopsticks" I am here to serve the people.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I actually have about 20 more pics that I will be putting on this thread in a little bit. I have about 20 posts to sort through first and then I will make a lengthy pictoral post about this crazy day.

Dom, you know we are cool. You are allowed to pick on me when you want. Just as long as you have my back when Biff gets on a power trip...:mrgreen:

As for the circulating water, yeah. I took a pic. Maybe some newbie will take a look and think..."damn, I shoud have put in a powerhead instead of stirring it with an old pair of chopsticks" I am here to serve the people.

I guess thats a good point.Next time I won't use a mixer my wife whips up mash potatoes with.:mrgreen:

funny thing is I get biff laziness and the only way we are getting electric water flow is if I am doing like 30+ gallons otherwise its the trusty ol plastic spoon in a bucket like a worlock making a potion

haha I am on my phone right now so I can't view the video.... but knowing what it is, I have a great visual of you mixing water with it haha.

doc- where's all those pics you spoke of and then never posted?

yote, you clearly have too much time on your hands. Funny though.

sorry about the delay with the pics. During the move, we had trouble with the new internet and have gone through two different providers who told me that they could not get a good enough signal in my area to set up cheap internet. I was stealing the neighbors, until they put in a password, so I have been without for a few days. Sorry, I am in the process of posting pics as we speak. I hate to leave people hanging. I am over at a friends house, using their wireless and won't have my own internet for another week - dammit.

I have to go thru Qwest, and they suck goat :pooh: and are really expensive, but they are my last resort. Anyway, on to the pics.

I started my tank moving day by unpacking my new T-5s. I am planning on adding lots of nifty stuff over the next few months, and these lights are a key component. Did I mention that I got them for a GREAT deal??? Anyway. Here they are

PA170001.jpg

I then had to go back to my old place to get ready for the move

PA170003-1.jpg

These comtainers get really heavy when full of water and the lids do not lock down, so the Explorer got a bath inside.

PA170002.jpg

Time to start draining the tank and placing corals in the tubs for the move.

PA170004-1.jpg

Here is a taste of the corals that I moved. I still have about half of the softies and mushrooms in my 125, that I will keep with the angels and other creatures I add in the future.

PA170005-1.jpg

Man the tank looks weird when it loses a lot of water.

PA170006.jpg

I had to drain a total of 50 gallons of water out of the 125 and then add it all back in at the end of the day. The angelfish were pretty pissed off having only about half the swimming room they were used to. But they survived.

PA170007.jpg

the floor was lined up with tubs of tank water, waiting to add it to the fresh saltwater sitting at the new house.

PA170008.jpg

After a long time of driving, hauling, and spilling, I started filling the tank with old tank water and live sand - what a mess. it was sooo cloudy and the water was getting cold. I picked a day that was raining and cold - about 40 degrees outside, so the water temp dropped FAST in the tubs. I didn't want to lose anything, so I moved really fast. I got the water in the tank and the corals in about 1.5 hours. The water was about 72 degrees when I finally got the corals in. I don't know what I will end up losing, but it was a touch move.

PA170009.jpg

getting closer

PA170010.jpg

full and REALLY dirty.

It has been so long since I started a new tank, I forgot how cloudy the water gets. I am not a fan. It took a full day for the sand to settle. I don't have pics for the finished, clean tank yet, but I will soon.

PA170011.jpg

More pics of the dirty, cold water and corals. Nothing else added yet.

PA170012.jpg

PA170013.jpg

Time to turn on the lights. They seem to highlight how dirty the tank is. After it cleaned up, it was weird to see a tank with NO coralline on the back of the tank. I was surprised about how weird it looks. The rocks do though. I picked the rocks with the most coralline on them to spread onto the back wall faster.

PA170014.jpg

not sure how to take a pic without it looking so blue. I could use some help with that.

I let the tank settle for about 2 hours and warm up to 78 degrees. I was not sure how much the lights would heat up the water, but I seemed to be only a degree or so. I ended up setting the heat higher later. I needed to add a cleaning crew, so I got a small one to start.

PA170015.jpg

PA170016.jpg

I will add a serpent star or two in a few days, but there is not much to eat yet. I only have about 30 snails in so far, but I don't want them to starve either. I will get more in soon.

I added a blood shrimp as well, but no pics on him. He is hiding

Back