Doc's Reef Build

yeah... likely you didn't have 400 flatworms hiding in the rocks where you could not see them. I did....Bastards. It was ugly. The water is almost starting to turn a light shade of green. It is creepy. My regal tang is swimming around like she is having a bad acid trip. The Lamarck's angel is looking pretty tired, bobbing around the bottom and leaning up against the wall. I had no idea how infested I was. dammit. I hope I don't lose anything. Anthias look good and the coral beauty seems fine. SPS corals are normal looking, but all the mushrooms, zoas and LPS are completely closed up and unhappy. Time will tell. So much for sleep tonight.....grumble

-Doc

Doc I say its time to evacuate ship! I would start setting up a place to keep your livestock pronto...even if you have to risk them with Squishy and the boys. I tend to overreact but err on the side of caution!

My corals all did close up and looked sickly. As for my fish they all went to the bottom of the tank and didn't move much at all. I had so many that they were floating all over the place. It looked like a flatworm sandstorm. I would have water ready in case you need to do another water change tomarrow. Hope everyting makes it.

I have another 30 gallons ready to go if I need to. We will see. If thing get much worse I may try to move the livestock. I fear stressing them out more by trying to net them.

-Doc

well, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that all my coral made it just fine. Some are still a tiny bit shriveled, but for the most part, they are all open and seem happy.

I can't tell if the flatworms on the bottom of the tank and on the side of the glass are alive or dead. I seem to remember Piggy telling me that I should nuke my tank again after about a week or so?

My fish have become psychotic. I have tried to give them some Thorazine or Haloperidol, but to no avail... (that was a joke for those medical professionals out there... maybe not that funny after all). I can't find my anthias. The regal tank seems OK, the coral beauty has a massive lesion on his left eye and is swimming erratically, the Larmarck's angel shows labored, ultra-fast breathing follow by periods of racing around the tank and jumping onto the floor. I seriously doubt he will make it past tonight. I will likely feed it to the dog.

So, I guess the lesson learned is to nuke the flatworms much sooner than I did to reduce the number of them in my tank producing toxins

-Doc

I was feeling crappy about by aiptasia outbreak,somehow I don't think they are as bad as having flatworms.

I really feel bad for you and your fish.Anyway possible to get them in aholding tank or bucket.What about using water from the big tank and those totes use for holding the rocks.

Man that sucks. The ones on the side of the glass are probably dead. So when you get done being pissed just get them out plus all others you see. The good new next time you nuke them it won't be as bad as the first time. I did the second treatment a week later. It says in the instructions. The only reason I did the second treatment was to make sure all them suckers were gone. Sorry to here about your fish.

It is official. I have my first confirmed losses due to flatworms. dammit. I found the tattered remains of both my anthias, they were covered in a gross slime I had not encountered before. Yuck. They stunk something fierce too. The Lamarck's is laying on his side, barely breathing, but it is stuck in a spot I can see but cannot get to. My guess is that he will be dead by morning. Lame. The regal tang seems to be OK as is the red firefish. The coral beauty looks like both eyes have been severely damaged and have white rings around them. I am tempted to take him out and provide my usual cement ceremony to assist him to the other side. He is not looking good either. I did another water change today, hoping that would reduce the toxins in the tank and allow for better living for the critters. I don't know what else to do. My coral is about half open and I hope it all pulls thru. I never knew this would be such a huge pain in the ass. Time to start drinking....:frustrat::frustrat:

-Doc

That sucks big time, Doc. I'm really sorry to hear about all your problems. I assume you've still been doing water changes like crazy too.

Just a thought Doc. This tank is skimmerless correct? Do you think that your LFS friend would let you use one or have an extra one kicking around? Do experts think that skimming would help?

Doc,I think Ryans onto something.A skimmer probably would help pull the toxins out a whole lot quicker.
Man it sux to know your reefs having troubles.

Back