Doc's Shark Tank

I apologize for my absence. I have been riduculously busy. Not to mention my LFS sold my tank before I could get it. That is my fault for not buying it sooner. :-(

I have to wait for another one now. Week? Month? Lame. Sorry, out of my control. But still coming. At least no one has bought my shark from the LFS. I think I will buy that and just leave it there until I can get me tank set up.:Cheers:

-Doc

Oh, and for those who mentioned needing a brace for support along the back, I did that. I put a 2x4 along the back, going from the top left of the tank stand to the bottom right. I secured it to the frame all along the way. It seems pretty sturdy.

-Doc

if the shark sells just put me in the tank, i'll even wear a shark costume. *Newbreefer imagins what he would look like in a shark costume*

haha that's awesome.

so doc, what's the tank situation then? are they ordering you one or is somethin else going on?

Nothing secret is going on. I am just without a tank. I am looking on internet classified for a used one in the mean time while I get a tank ordered. I am not wanting to wait three months for a tank to come in. I am having a hard time finding a big tank that is used though. Something will happen before too long.

-Doc

He is acclimated, looking HUGE, and happily hanging out in my tank. There is a long story about how I got here, but, regardless of that... I have a
F*%KING SHARK!!! WU-WHO!!!

I have pics and I will upload them in a bit and I am going to try to shoot a feeding video right now and see if I cannot post it as well.

-Doc

whoa this shark is an animal when it comes to feeding. He scared the bejesus out of the angelfish in the tank. He is about 20 inches long and hunts like a pro. I have a short feeding video that I am trying to upload now. It will take me a bit to get set up but I will inundate everyone with pics when I can

-Doc

OK, so the story behind the tank is way too long to tell. In short, is was not possible to upgrade to the bigger tank just yet. It will likely be the fall before I will be able to get the tank I want. I had to modify my new stand that I build to hold the 125 that I am still using. I couldn't wait any longer with the space I was losing for my family to live. So, I made due with my 125 for a few more months and I decided to get the shark anyway. He is awesome. "I think I will name him squishy and I will make him mine... :D"

Here are a few pics:

P5300005.jpg

I added another 2x4 across the back to hold the width of the 125 as the stand was much deeper.

P5300001.jpg

I leak tested the sump and sealed the two bulkheads with silicone and plexiglas because I didnt want to mess with trying to find the right hose attachments. I have the overflow hoses emptying into the tank from the top of the sump

-Doc

P5300007.jpg

I lowered the stand over the sump after deciding to center the stand on the new wall in the basement. Once I am ready to add the new tank, I will just remove the old one and set down the new one.

P5300008.jpg

starting to fill the tank again after moving it

-Doc

P5300009.jpg

the basement was a nightmare, full of tubs of water and rock, I had to move the big screen and other furniture around to make room. It took a total of 2 hours from start to finish with the move.

P5300010.jpg

-Doc

P5310015.jpg

Once the tank was full (I forgot how dirty the water is when you move a tank), I started heating the water and moving water through the sump to clean it up. It took about 4 hours to have the water settle down. I added the corals and fish after about an hour and a half. I did have one fatality. My lovely sohal tang did not make the transition. I am so sad. He was a magnificent fish. Also, it looks like my radiata lionfish damaged his left eye. I hope he makes it as well.

P5310016.jpg

I have the sump with the overflow hoses entering the top of the sump of the left side. the water passes through the protein skimmer and then through about 100 lbs of live rock inside the sump. then, the phosguard and carbon are jammed in next to the baffle before the return pump so the water is forced through them. Seems to work so far

-Doc

P6020023.jpg

of course, as was my luck, I was planning on upgrading my lights and just as I set up my tank, one of the PC lights went out, so the tank looks a bit funny, but here it is.

The tank has the middle 8 inches of tank full of the rock, allowing for about 6-7 inches on the front and back of the tank as two rows for swimming for the shark. He seems to like it.

P6020024.jpg

P6020025.jpg

-Doc

Now then. Onto my new buddy!!!

I got him for a steal at the LFS. He was eating them out of house and home so I got him for $150. He is 20 inches long, a grey-banded bamboo shark. His bands will fade over time, but for now, he looks really cool!

P6020021.jpg

P6020022.jpg

P6020026.jpg

I had to reach in and play with him a bit before putting him into the tank. He didn't seem to mind the back scratch I gave him. The skin feels a bit like wet sandpaper. Pretty freakin' awesome

P6020027.jpg

Here he is heading into the tank.... :mrgreen:

-Doc

Here is a small selection of pics as soon as he went into the tank. I haven't had a chance to clean the glass but I will take him to target this weekend with a new leash and a suit for our spring family picture... :D

P6020028.jpg

P6020029.jpg

The depth of the tank is 18.5 inches so you can see he ain't small

P6020030.jpg

P6020031.jpg

P6020033.jpg

up close and personal!!! :Cheers:

-Doc

Back