Doc's Shark Tank

doc dont let those mexicans near your tanks that are up and going that might think its time to find lunch instead of buying it. theyll think your angels will make good lunch

I am confused I guess, but wouldn't the shark eat all the other small fish like the clowns. Also wouldn't the lionfish eat the clowns?

I am confused I guess, but wouldn't the shark eat all the other small fish like the clowns. Also wouldn't the lionfish eat the clowns?

A few years back, I kept a brown banded bamboo shark in with a variety of other fish. The shark did eat a coral beauty and made short work of a few shrimp, but he ignore the clownfish that had a BTA. They are not aggressive hunters, but are opportunistic feeders. Since the ocerllaris clowns never venture farther than 6 inches from their nem, I don't foresee a problem.

As for the lionfihs, Radiata lionfish are opportunistic hunters as well and not the eating machines that volitans are. He has never even taken a second glance at the clowns. He has been in the tank for a few months and ignores the clowns altogether.

-Doc

doc if you dont mind me asking how much did you spend at the depot

today....um.... about $900. I got a few extra things that did not pertain to my tank, like a grill, and a storm door. Gotta love the home depot credit card.

-Doc

I just love that in America, I can have something for nothing. Hell, once I get too much charged up, I just go bankrupt and no one gets any of my money. Gotta love the law!

(I am being a snot, I do not endorse any illegal or unethical behavior, it is against my personal and professional beliefs and yet, can be so much fun to tease about)

-Doc

oh you better believe i will. there is no doubt about that

I just wish it were big enough to snorkle in. My next tank will have that capacity. It will have a name as well, "The Grotto" I have a plan for an inclosed building / sanctuary that will have palm trees, snakes, etc and a huge grotto for swimming - salt water of course. That may take me a few years to realize though

-Doc

Hey Doc,
So about your construction questions. Its looks like a pretty good plan but, if your going to lay the top 2x4 flat and double them up, you shouldn't need to make them 2x6s. Your going to need the cross bracing but instead of using the 2x4, just get a piece of plywood and cover the sides. If you don't want it on the outside, stick it on the inside but make sure you nail the side wall to the front and back walls like crazy. You would probably want some cross bracing on the back and front as well. You wouldn't need to cover the entire wall, just have 2 rectangles that span from one stud to another. Best to have one in between the front doors and one somewhere on the back where it's not in the way of your plumbing. One other concern is the sag above the doors. In homes above windows and doors you have 2 2x8s across the gap to support it, but since you have a double top plate right there and are only going 2 ft you can use 2x4s. With all those mods you would have an invincible stand. If I had a dream stand, thats how I would make it except I would stain the hell out of every inch so it wouldn't get hurt by moisture. If you have any other concerns, just let me know. I hope this helps.

very helpful suggestions. I am for sure going to shore it up with cross braces. I think it will be perfect. I am really excited to start working on it. The finish work will be tough. I am not sure how to manage to finish it. My wife's number one concern is that it will be left unfinished and ugly. I am no finish carpenter. I am clueless how to finish it so it looks really nice. I like black as it matches the tank and my decor in the family room

-Doc

Doc Randys suggestions are great except for one thing DONT USE NAILS. or dry wall screws for that matter. Spend the extra jack and get stainless screws. If you want a finished wood stand you can buy furniture grade plywood that has hard wood veneer. Then you just buy some hardwood or pine molding that suit mitre them in and voila. But if black is your color of choice a good oil based paint will do nicely.

Back