FNG's Update

FNG44601

Reefing newb
Well things are still quiet and VERY SLOW OVER HERE.... No major problems. Good & Bad newz..... About 1/2 way done with the aquarium, Stocked with 2 Clowns, 1 Banggai Cardinal, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crabs, Turbos, DOZENS of small hermits, and who knows how many snails.... AND MY DAUGHTER + WIFE WENT RELENTLESS!!!!!!!! A porcupine puffer! :)/:(
Who believes this. The guy @ WetPets has a reef tank with all types of anenomes, corals and inverts- prolly bout 90 gals. AND I read puffers+reef= Hell No. He says his coral/anenome are types that thrive from a high current, so he's set his powerheads to provide this. They're also higher in the water column. According to him(I've seen it too) these guys suck @ swimming. So I BROKE DOWN, going to try his idea in a month or two, maybe add a small anenome then maybe a coral down the line- PLUS SIDE IS IF IT DOESN'T WORK THEN I CAN GET A 125 GAL - PER THE MRS!!!! :) and doesn't count against Xmas!!! lol
But pretty much done for a while with this one- Going to finish with another 50 lbs of LR before the holiday rush- maybe mix in some Tonga rock. Saving room for my Scribbled Angel in the summer! Just want the conditions/water to be PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!
So here's a pic of the aquarium- will add some more after I put the rest of the LR in. This will be IT for a while!!! :( gonna kind of miss it all- weird right?
And just a Huge Tiny piece of me wants this friggin pufferfish to live up to it's species characteristics:bounce: C'mon 125
And who knows this guy might've JUST PUT IT IN THERE and I'm the biggest idiot standing between a pair of shoes!!!
ABC036.jpg

ABC038.jpg

ABC040.jpg

Looking good! Did you name the puffer? Bobby used to have one. He named it Big Fat Retarded Kid because it always looked like it was having a hard time swimming :)

Make sure you have sufficient lighting before you try an anemone. And keep the updates coming!

just a piece of feedback or three. The puffers at my LFS tend to swim at the top of the water column, they seem to like the current. The porcupine at the Salt Lake City aquarium also stays at the top. I wish you luck.

As for the scribbled angel, they are one of my favorites, but I have never had one before. They are quite pricey and tend not to do well in the home aquarium. They are a cold water species so you need to drop your temps below what many corals like to keep it alive. Hope you can figure it out tho. That is the only reason I don't own one.

-Doc

Lil input guys- still probably a month or two away from trying this, but still on my fact gathering mission. Went back to the LFS and talked to the guy in depth. He either omitted or my ears omitted that he also had spotlights on the areas where his anenome and coral were. I guess they don't like intense lighting. The set up was kind of like from substrate to gradually increasing height of the LR. On the side with the Anenome and Corals were 2 powerheads and the diffuser pointed toward the front of the glass. Feed him on the other side of the tank and I should be good. I don't know but WTF... I'm not planning on it to work! :) but with my luck it will. Anyone else who's had any success doing what we shouldn't please chime in. But if not I have my new tank picked out.

you might not have the coral banded shrimp for long. He will probably eat it. Good luck with your experiment.

-Doc

Back