Goodman's 150g

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
So finally got a decent sized tank up and running.
tank.jpg

Close up on the sump
sump_801208.jpg

Already have some life!
snails.jpg

No clue what they are though. Ill have to figure it out and make sure they wont bother the reef that will eventually be there. :^:
Overflow:
overflow.jpg

Right now the overflows are LOUD. So soon I'm going to try and rig something up to quiet it down. Something without those sponges, I read they just cause trouble.

To do list:
New Lighting
Skimmer(have one in mind I will probably pick up in a week or two)
More Live rock (probably only has 80-100 pounds in it right now)
Get better pump (mine is only 785 gph) Want 1000+

Looks like a good start! Now go update your tank description so people dont slam you when you ask about large fishes!

Another hundred pounds should fill it out well.

I cant tell from the pics can you put a durso or some other kind of stand pipe on those pipes? Look like they are hole riddled. If they are just slipped together you can slip joint them together with no need for glue as they are under no pressure

What are you going to do for lighting? What skimmer have you picked out?

Last edited:
Yea, looner then later, I will be putting on:
standpipe.jpg

Maybe ill leave the description the way it is and see how many people get upset when they think I'm wayyyy overstocking my 24g =P

Last edited:
Durso it is! Might as well do it now. You dont have anything in there but rock sand and mystery snails! Id do it now if you drain the water below the overflow boxes you wont even have to drain the whole tank. That would be priority numero uno IMO and itll only cost you about 10-20 bucks I would imagine!

Those look like cerith snails. A lot of cerith snails! Holy cow! Did those come with the tank somehow?

If they are ceriths (and I would google them just to make sure), they are reef safe.

Congrats, I can't wait to see how it comes along.

Those look like cerith snails. A lot of cerith snails! Holy cow! Did those come with the tank somehow?

If they are ceriths (and I would google them just to make sure), they are reef safe.

Congrats, I can't wait to see how it comes along.

Thats what it looks like they, are. Yea they were all over the rock and sand! Great starter cleaner crew I guess, lol.

To do list:
Get better pump (mine is only 785 gph) Want 1000+

:bounce:Your tank is a "Reef Ready" tank with two holes with one inch bulk heads for over flows. They will only flow 350 gph each. On a day God does you real big favors they might put through 400 gph each. I would not waste money on a larger pump as a pump much larger would only have to be throttled back or have part of its output returned to the sump instead of the tank. The only reason you should think about a larger pump wold be to make up for a bad return system (made with small pipe diameters).:twocents:

Yeah I'd definitely try to sell them too. It looks like they are breeding really well in your tank, which makes sense since they don't have any predators (yet). If you don't sell them, I predict a lot will end up starving to death anyways.

:bounce:Your tank is a "Reef Ready" tank with two holes with one inch bulk heads for over flows. They will only flow 350 gph each. On a day God does you real big favors they might put through 400 gph each. I would not waste money on a larger pump as a pump much larger would only have to be throttled back or have part of its output returned to the sump instead of the tank. The only reason you should think about a larger pump wold be to make up for a bad return system (made with small pipe diameters).:twocents:
What you said is correct fatman, but eventually I could mod it similar to this:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/PopularModifications/MegaFlowModification/tabid/70/Default.aspx

What you said is correct fatman, but eventually I could mod it similar to this:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/PopularModifications/MegaFlowModification/tabid/70/Default.aspx
The problem with Mega Flow over flow rates does not lie in the amount of water entering the towers but in the size of the bulk heads in which the stsnd pipes are inserted. I run A Dart on by tanks closed loop circulation systems, they are fed through 2 inch bulkheads that are covered with sqaure inlet box with less inlet space than a mega flow tower provides. Look at a mega flow tower there are also thwo other sets of slots down lower on the tower. Inlet into the tower is not a problem. I get full flow from my Dart pump. I do not advocate the purchase of "reef Ready" tanks that are provided with huge towers feeding a sump through little overflow bulk heads. If all taht I can purchase is an "Reef Ready" tank, I remove the Towers and plug the bottom holes and drill appropriately sized holes, for a back wall overflow and all return lines. The modification shown will not increase flow through small overflow stand pipes, and actually decreases the percentage of water skimmed from the top of the tank. The notches are sized so as to nearly suck the top layer of water in, with the modifiaction water just freely flows in from the top inch or so, instead of the top 1/4 inch as is best.

The problem with Mega Flow over flow rates does not lie in the amount of water entering the towers but in the size of the bulk heads in which the stsnd pipes are inserted. I run A Dart on by tanks closed loop circulation systems, they are fed through 2 inch bulkheads that are covered with sqaure inlet box with less inlet space than a mega flow tower provides. Look at a mega flow tower there are also thwo other sets of slots down lower on the tower. Inlet into the tower is not a problem. I get full flow from my Dart pump. I do not advocate the purchase of "reef Ready" tanks that are provided with huge towers feeding a sump through little overflow bulk heads. If all taht I can purchase is an "Reef Ready" tank, I remove the Towers and plug the bottom holes and drill appropriately sized holes, for a back wall overflow and all return lines. The modification shown will not increase flow through small overflow stand pipes, and actually decreases the percentage of water skimmed from the top of the tank. The notches are sized so as to nearly suck the top layer of water in, with the modifiaction water just freely flows in from the top inch or so, instead of the top 1/4 inch as is best.

:frustrat: Got so caught up in it I forgot about the stupid bulkheads, Oh well. Your right.

Built some Durso standpipes today.
standpipe.jpg

Thread Seal:0.97
PVC cement:4.17
Bulkhead AdaptorX2: 2.46
T JointX2:1.94
Elbow JointX2:2.88
Top PlugsX2:2.48
Main Pipe:4.07
Total cost:18.97 +tax and gas

Time: About 1 hour

Only noise now is comeing from an elbow joint on the return pipe thats leaking a little bit and the water flowing down into the sump, which I eventually will just PVC pipe.

Last edited:
That is a lot cheaper than Mega Flows overflow pipe system. However they do provide about 6 inches of Lock-line pipe a fitting and a nozzle.

A lot cheaper! Works well for me and it was just the $20 for making two of them.

It doesn't say on their site, but I wonder what type PVC it is. I used schedule 40 because they didn't have any 26. =\

Also after letting it sit for a while I noticed one of the water levels fluctuating up and down. I'm pretty sure its because of the length of the tubing from the bulkhead to the sump. I just need to get a shorter hose.

Last edited:
A lot cheaper! Works well for me and it was just the $20 for making two of them.

It doesn't say on their site, but I wonder what type PVC it is. I used schedule 40 because they didnt have any 26. =\
:bounce:Typical PVC is schedule 20. Usually schedule 40 PVC pipe is threaded pipe. Mega Flow uses schedule 10, which is not normally even offered for sale to the general public.:^:

Back