Goodman's 150g

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt a pipes 'schedule' relate to its wall thickness and also its pressure rating? Not wether its threaded or not?

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt a pipes 'schedule' relate to its wall thickness and also its pressure rating? Not wether its threaded or not?
:bounce: Yes, it refers to it's wall thickness. However, most schedule 40 pipe seen in hardwares stores is comprised of nipples (short pieces of pipe) that are threaded and used to plumb up systems that have ball/gate valves, check valves, switches, pressure gauges, sediment traps and other assorted things that may need replacement or maintenance so therefore are put together with threaded pipe, to prevent the need for a large number of unions or cthe need to cut the assemblies apart. Most hardware stores do not even stock full 10 foot lengths of schedule 40 PVC pipe. :^:

Luckily one of my clients is a construction company! Called them up and they had some extra pipe that would work better for me.

Also, tonight I had to rip one of the bulkheads out because it was leaking and it gave me one hell of a time. :(

I just need to find more rock at a good price and im good to go! Oh, and replace the bulkhead.

So after replacing one of my bulkheads and getting my skimmer all set up the tank was finally ready for its first addition!
tang.jpg

Shes so pretty, I love her! I also took out the bioballs and put some extra rock I had in the sump, seems like everything is working pretty well. Thats all for now.

About 11-11.5 inches. A decent amount smaller then yours. The guy i bought her from had an awesome looking golden puffer as well.

i dont use common sense so cut me some slack, plus i just woke up when i read that

Pshhhhh whatever!:bounce:

So I fed her tonight and she ate like a champ. The first night I tried a little mysis which she let go right by. She was probably still stressed, but she ate her aquadine all up.

So everything is still going well. She was showing some signs of stress from the move, but its clearing up. The only problem im running into now is flow and circulation. I threw in a SEIO M2600 powerhead which gives great flow, but im worried about the circulation. Does anyone have good links or an article on placing pumps etc. for best circulation?

You want to place at least some of the pumps near the surface of the water so that they create a ripple in the surface. This will help oxygenate the water. Most people place their powerheads in the back corners, facing the front glass at a diagonal to create some turbulence in the current.

So i haven't updated in a while, but not to much has changed. A lot of aggravating things have been going on though. :(

My skimmer isn't working quite right, I'm going to run to Lowe's and see if i can pick some stuff up and fix it. I added some more nassarius snails and a few turbos and also a large brittle star i picked up. I did pick up that mag 18 so i have to get that hooked up and I took out all my bioballs and added a semi-DSB. It will be made deeper after I make some changes.

My vlamingi is doing awesome, she has some stress ick from the move, but its all gone and its fun seeing her personality develop. I have also been thinking about starting a 'video blog' on youtube, if I do ill throw the link up here. Anyways, thats about it for now. :D

If you are running a sump fed by an over flow with a skimmer, you are already getting good oxygenation so limit you agitation of the surface water to the point of just some movement of the water surface or even avoid trying to agitate or move the surface water at all. The water will not be motion free or still water as there will be skimming going on that will move the surface adequately. Use power heads to move the water enough to prevent settling of detritus on your corals, rocks, substrate, corners and nooks and crannies. If you do that your circulation will be adequate every where. You want to skim the concentrated dissolved organic solids from the waters surface so as to remove them with your protein skimmer. Agitation of the waters surface keeps the dissolved solids from concentrating at the surface where they can be readily skimmed off, and as a result cause more elevated nutrients to remain in your water. Agitation of the surface (rippling surface) is a good tool to remove the dissolved organic concentration at the surface so the water air interface can "breath."(do its gas exchanges). However that is a method for tanks without surface skimming or protein skimmers which should be fed the concentrated skimmed water. That skimmed off water with concentrated dissolved organic and detritus should be preferably fed directly to a skimmer. Feeding it to a compartment mixes the concentrate with already skimmed water meaning the water is no longer concentrated, which in turn means when the water overflows to the next compartment it has not been as well skimmed as it would be if the water was fed to skimmer with the excess "T'd" off to the skimmer holding compartment. Basically said, circulation pumps are nice near the surface pointed downward at an angle where the circualtion is needed. Just do not point the pump up at the surface if skimming the surface. Placing a pump or two near the surface pointed at a downward angle makes the water from the bottom of the tank circulate to the top which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back