Is my light good enough

sprky86

Reefing newb
I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank. I was wondering if the lights I have are good enough for coral, or at least roughly how much light it would put off, low medium or high. I have a day and a night light, and the tank is around 22in tall. Here is a link to the same light that I have.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-21-6-Watt-Aquarium-48-Inch/dp/B005HJBF5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359678957&sr=8-1&keywords=aquaticlife+led]Amazon.com: Aquatic Life 21.6-Watt Light Aquarium Light, 48-Inch, White/Blue: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I haven't really narrowed it down yet, but I like the soft coral, the ones that move back and forth. So generally any of those. If the lights are not good enough, I will just get them last, after i get better lights.

Corals that have a lot of movement are generally LPS. Some softies do extend polyps but not as much as LPS. Do a little coral research and after deciding what exactly you want to keep, we can advise you. Check the tank builds and check out the different lighting some of us use for ideas. Happy Reefing!

A couple of the corals that I like, and would like to get later on are leather toadstool, hammer coral,green star polyp, and Green torch coral. I also like the feather dusters, and flame scallops. I haven't checked to see if all of it is compatible together, but that is just what I like so far.

most people that run led lights look for 3 watt led...thats 3 watts per light. That would allow you to keep almost anything. This unit is 1/2 watt leds...so maybe some mushrooms and softies but very limiting.

X4 your number of how much gallon of water u have but x6 will be much better

What is this supposed to mean? I am confused. If you mean 4 - 6 watts per gallon, that all depends on the type of light that is being used. For LED, you can get away with much less wattage, but like it has been said, you want 3 watts per LED to get the light penetration into the water. Also, there are different optics that can be put on to focus the light more to get into deeper tanks.

Back