jhnrb 150 reef

R/O DI system pumping water. I added a prefilter with gauge. TDS 250 to 280 ppm after the prefilter. Processed water into the barrel is 0 ppm. I have started running the electrical as well.
IM003730.JPG

my wife wanted to ask you this jonh..hheheh...are you sure that equipment is for a reef aquarium??..or is it to make experiments to some form of space alien you have there??

The barrels can be obtained from any large bulk food processing business. you want to get only food grade quality to preclude any leaching of chemicals into the water. The barrels will need to be sterilized before use if they have not been. steam cleaned will do it also. I prefer olive barrels, but had to settle for vanilla barres this time round. also more to come as the electrical is run. updates next weekend. Patients rigo, it will all make sense as it comes together.

Last edited:
RigoSharon said:
my wife wanted to ask you this jonh..hheheh...are you sure that equipment is for a reef aquarium??..or is it to make experiments to some form of space alien you have there??

Still working on it. lo. it will a come together soon. still have a couple more surprises before the system is completed. patients, patients.

cant hardly wait..its gonna be a big show just looking at your equipment working than the aquarium itself..jonh..i know you read alot about this matters..were you got the idea to set up this amazing equipment???..what inspired you??...i can tell you ..this looks M. I . T quality..i bet theres a lot of $ involved too...amazing jhn..never seen such equipment before..ive seen almost all FS here in PR...and nothing even alike!!!

Ive dabbled in this and that for years and this system will incorporate the equipment that will provide me with the versatility I want in the system. As the equipment comes on line i will do a piece on each. should be fun.

Cant wait to learn more about it. It really does look like a amazing setup. The one thing I really want to see is water in it. lol It will be awsome from the looks of things. One question though. How many gallons is it all to gether with everything added?

bobby said:
Cant wait to learn more about it. It really does look like a amazing setup. The one thing I really want to see is water in it. lol It will be awsome from the looks of things. One question though. How many gallons is it all to gether with everything added?

Apprx. System water - apprx 300 gal, makeup and fresh salt water apprx 100gal in barrels.

Wow all the plumbing and added stuff has just as much as the tank it self.
Cant wait to see it up and running.

just a quick update. controller for heater in salt barrel, air pump w/batt backup for reoxygenation of the barrels, switches and outlets for the various pumps.
IM003735.JPG

IM003736.JPG

awesome work!! never seen anything like it but i can tell it is going to be amazing. you are very good at what you do.

Progress on electrical, installed booster pump for ro system, installed batt backup for main system pump, lights purchased for room, electrial continues, sump system being filled with ro water.
IM003765.JPG

IM003766.JPG

IM003767.JPG

Last edited:
update, lights are on, power to equipment shed is on, water flowing in sump room. no leaks, no shorts, currently a real mess but will clean up soon enough.
IM003768.JPG

IM003769.JPG

IM003770.JPG

IM003771.JPG

IM003773.JPG

Main pump is on and water is running in sump system. have not fill tank yet. so far no leaks
IM003774.JPG

Last edited:
Back